Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: poker and starcarft

Saft
Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Games like StarCraft/Quake attract competitive gamers, people who always want to be the best.
StarCraft, and good RTSes in general, also reward strategic thinking about your goals and your opponent's.

I don't think StarCraft skills translate into Poker skills (except meta-skills like multitasking or something), but I do think they both attract a certain type of person.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM

One of my ultimate fantasies would be for there to be an organized starcraft tournament with a payout like a poker tournament.

one can only dream.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Games like StarCraft/Quake attract competitive gamers, people who always want to be the best.
StarCraft, and good RTSes in general, also reward strategic thinking about your goals and your opponent's.

I don't think StarCraft skills translate into Poker skills (except meta-skills like multitasking or something), but I do think they both attract a certain type of person.

[/ QUOTE ]
The most important skill you can learn from playing games is how to learn. Knowing how to accept responsibility for your losses, knowing how to study players who are better than you, and knowing how to honestly appraise your game are very important. There aren't really that many activities that you can pick these skills up, but SC is one of them.

I don't even know if you can say poker is one of them: A deep and almost intuitive understanding of variance is neccessary to start picking up those other skills in poker, and normally it takes so long to develop it that you're already broke, or you just aren't learning very well.

I reckon that people who win at poker mostly learnt how to learn somewhere else first (e.g, tennis, rugby, to use two well known examples).
Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my ultimate fantasies would be for there to be an organized starcraft tournament with a payout like a poker tournament.

one can only dream.

[/ QUOTE ]
About five years ago I wrote some automatic bracket generation software and a lot of the backend for a system like this. The problem is that it's against the EULA of the games. I knew this pretty early in and just kept on writing it so that I could learn php/mysql...

Talk to people like Nazgul or ElkY, they play fairly highstakes SC games...
Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Alot of ex-competitive gamers, are in general really successfull with poker. Counter-Strike (probably the minority), Starcraft, Warcraft, Quake and Painkiller, has had huge growth over the years, and all the higher skilled people i've met while playing, pretty much all have jumped over to poker. It's cause of the competitive spirits. Kind of the same reasons why scandinavians in general do good in the online world overall [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD
Old 07-10-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

one can only dream.

[/ QUOTE ]

This exists in Korea. Also, if you are extremely good, you can get a 100k+ yearly salary, just for playing starcraft. I believe NaDa has an 200k salary or so.

editted
Old 07-10-2007, 03:15 PM

Maybe I spent more time than the average kid on the lake and in the woods growing up, but I don't even know what starcraft is.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:39 PM

fisheye plays 10/20 nl on party and for someone whos only played nl for a few months hes raping