Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Online Poker Inches Closer to Exemption

It's a start....sure this bill won't go anywhere, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. It will take awhile to build momentum, but at least we will have a bill to point to when we call our reps.

Money runs the political establishment in Washington, however the PEOPLE do have the final say, and if there is enough outcry form the public for something the politicians will listen.

It's a start
Old 01-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Would be more inclined to listen to individuals at TheRX rather than what is reported by G911....overall.

Probably the best in-depth source for offshore gaming considering that sportsbettors, as well as poker players are represented there..........and sportsbetting was well into offshore gaming before poker exploded.

-FH-
Old 01-24-2007, 03:35 PM

I have no doubt the report is true, I think the PPA is making an effort, regardless of whether they are shady or not.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
total luck games. 7-card stud with 1-ante stacks, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I crush this game when we play it in our home game.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If it doesn't get introduced soon to stop the bleeding of all the sites wanting to pull out.....none of this will matter.

Coming from someone who's spoken to top management at several rooms...it's REALLY important that something positive happens in the next 3-6 months.....and I mean positive as in just getting the bill introduced.

Obviously that doesn't mean it will pass, but if it doesn't get introduced, you can say good bye to at least 2 other rooms I know of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to name which rooms? Are these rooms providing support to the PPA?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If rooms are basing their decisions based upon a bill being introduced or not, they really are grasping IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling it grasping or whatever, it's a fact.

If there is no reason to believe the US is interested in considering making poker legal and it appear the full scale war on gambling will continue, more sites will pull out. I know of 2 that are discussing it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, only a select few of your buddies have any way of knowing whether you actually have any inside information, as you claim.

I know you don't care what I think, but I mention this again for those who don't read this forum regularly.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If rooms are basing their decisions based upon a bill being introduced or not, they really are grasping IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling it grasping or whatever, it's a fact.

If there is no reason to believe the US is interested in considering making poker legal and it appear the full scale war on gambling will continue, more sites will pull out. I know of 2 that are discussing it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, only a select few of your buddies have any way of knowing whether you actually have any inside information, as you claim.

I know you don't care what I think, but I mention this again for those who don't read this forum regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a couple PM's.

Maybe spending you should spend more time email congressmen and less time trying to make sure no one believes my posts.

You'd be doing us all a favor.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There would be no motivation for US lawmakers to do an online poker carveout. PPA might be making some noise around Capitol Hill these days, but I doubt they have any real political clout. It doesn't seem to me that any politician would be all that concerned with going after the online poker playing voter bloc. And by carving out online poker, that just means leaving the gates open for a flow of money out of our economy.

I think this is all just wishful thinking on our part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Online poker is played by 12-22 million Americans (or at least it used to be). It is hard to say how many of those would vote a pro online poker ticket...any voting block of more than 1 million has a ton of political clout. This is one of the reasons the PPA is trying to increase its membership. Even raising it to half a million would make a big difference.

I agree it is a long shot for a bill to make its way through Congress, but at least the PPA is doing its job and trying.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Online poker is played by 12-22 million Americans (or at least it used to be). It is hard to say how many of those would vote a pro online poker ticket...any voting block of more than 1 million has a ton of political clout. This is one of the reasons the PPA is trying to increase its membership. Even raising it to half a million would make a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that 2 key legislators lost their position in Congress this past November because of the fraction of the swayed vote over this key issue.

We'll do it again.

Our voice is growing strong and without a doubt at some point online poker will be regulated in the U.S.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:03 PM

There's no reason for any poker site to close to US players. Since Neteller opened up an "account" for me with an American bank and I withdrew from "checking" on my debit card, the same arrangement could be made by a new e-wallet with, say, a bank in the Cayman Islands. It's up to the poker sites to figure it out.

Or we could continue just mailing checks.

Problem is, PokerStars really tightened up after the Neteller fiasco. WSEX was theoretically the best thing that happened to poker, but in reality, the games were tough.

It's not just any poker we need, but good poker.If there's a site that caters to American pros, the Europeans will stay away - they have Party.

There's no reason why Party couldn't set up a "proxy server", where it seems that American players are logging on from eg.Algeria.

The poker sites have 20 million American customers - it's up to them to figure out how to keep us.