Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Jen Harmon\'s comment on PAD

[ QUOTE ]
So they play the big game with 12.5 big blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

the big game is 2k/4k, (sometimes 4k/8k) so buying in 100K would be 25BB which is fairly standard. When they play 4k/8k I'm sure they adjust accordingly.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They get paid $50k just for being on the show in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

curious to where you got this info?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, but it can't be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the players referenced it in about the second or third week, I think it was helmuth. It was kind of in the background and you had to be paying attention to catch it. Someone said something about the buy 20K buy in and helmuth mentioned something about everyone getting a 50K appearance fee. I suppose he could have been screwing around but I didn't get that impression when i heard it and it seems about right.

Why can't this be correct? Why else would these busy players take time out for a winner take all tourney with a relatively small purse? They absolutely have to be getting some guaranteed money. And it seems like a reasonable amount to pay for a late night show on a major network, the players are the shows talent and writers.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
helmuth mentioned something about everyone getting a 50K appearance fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was saying he charges 50k for appearances.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
helmuth mentioned something about everyone getting a 50K appearance fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was saying he charges 50k for appearances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? what exactly did he say? I want a quote. In fact, I want audio.

I don't know for a fact if or how much they get paid to play on the show. Helmuth threw out the 50K figure and as I recall it was in reference not just to him but to others at the table. That sounds reasonable to me. I don't know if it's factual, but i'm going to go with it.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:08 PM

It would be interesting to know the net worth of the avg 'big game' player.

I remember Jen saying that she was the poorest 'big game' player, but I doubt she's in the poor house.

I bet these guys pay for their home's and cars with cash. I remember Mike Matusow saying that he paid for his house in Henderson and bimmer with 700k that he won online...
Old 03-25-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the players referenced it in about the second or third week, I think it was helmuth. It was kind of in the background and you had to be paying attention to catch it. Someone said something about the buy 20K buy in and helmuth mentioned something about everyone getting a 50K appearance fee. I suppose he could have been screwing around but I didn't get that impression when i heard it and it seems about right.

Why can't this be correct? Why else would these busy players take time out for a winner take all tourney with a relatively small purse? They absolutely have to be getting some guaranteed money. And it seems like a reasonable amount to pay for a late night show on a major network, the players are the shows talent and writers.

[/ QUOTE ]

They take time out for Poker After Dark because, for the most part, they enjoy being on national television.

And Hellmuth was referring to what he charges for appearances he makes for various corporate outings, tournaments, etc.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it's factual, but i'm going to go with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be the twoplustwo slogan.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? what exactly did he say? I want a quote. In fact, I want audio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the NBC website.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it's factual, but i'm going to go with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 03-25-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes they are good, but they are struggling. I really don't believe they have as much liquid cash as some of you think.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have read The Professor, the Banker and the Suicide King (Michael Craig's book on on the story of Andy Beal and the Corporation) and I would beg to differ. These pros. sit down in the Big Game and on HSP with 100k (the prize for PAD is 120k). Any sane person (and you don't become a poker pro. without having some wits) doesn't sit down to a game that big without having at least 20x that for their bankroll. So winning PAD is probably the equivalence of making a buy-in for those pros -- not a big deal.

Also, I really doubt that these pros' bankrolls make up their entire net worth. They have investments, houses, etc. in addition to the money they use to play poker with. I think you'd be hard pressed to say that they're "struggling".

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the same book, and what I thought he was saying is that although they might have millions of dollars in personal assets, since that money is out of poker, it doesn't go back. Their poker bankroll can get seriously hurt by a swing of several hundred K or so, so they could be struggling. They would borrow from each other's bankrolls when they're busto before they would go dipping into personal assets (according to Michael Craig). That's why the matches with Beal were so stressful -- he almost put a hurting on all of their bankrolls, even though they wouldn't be personally bankrupt.