Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Some thoughts on nanostakes 6max... (tl;dr)

[ QUOTE ]
that is one of the contributing factors to why I wrote what I wrote. Perhaps I didn't focus on it enough, but a majority of the hands I see in SSSH are from 3/6 on up. There is a world of difference between those players and the players at .25/.50-1/2 6max. There is a great deal of aggression preflop and some very weird aggression postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

First. There are plenty of hands posted in SSSH from 0.25 through 2/4. I would say the majority of hands are 1/2 through 3/6.

Second. The difference between stakes is way overrated. Its still poker and about adapting to your opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
Hence the need for a knowledge of isolation plays coupled with good postflop skills and observation. When you're to the left of a 45/15/1.1 'tard but to the right of a 70/0/0.9 'tard and you're staring down at AQos, you really need to have a game plan available...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear. AQo in this spot is pretty easy to play. You jam it preflop and you bet out on most flops. What happens after that doesnt really matter as long as you dont hang your self. Its poker not rocket science. Bet/raise for value with good hands and call down his bets/raises with marginal hands if you think there is enough hands in his range that you beat. Oh, and put in the occasional semibluff raise.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hence the need for a knowledge of isolation plays coupled with good postflop skills and observation. When you're to the left of a 45/15/1.1 'tard but to the right of a 70/0/0.9 'tard and you're staring down at AQos, you really need to have a game plan available...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear. AQo in this spot is pretty easy to play. You jam it preflop and you bet out on most flops. What happens after that doesnt really matter as long as you dont hang your self. Its poker not rocket science. Bet/raise for value with good hands and call down his bets/raises with marginal hands if you think there is enough hands in his range that you beat. Oh, and put in the occasional semibluff raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... what's more important is what hands he goes to the river with. Does he call down when he hits any piece?

Yes, in 6-max a lot of people call down with 3rd pair, etc. But the 5th or 6th time they lose to your TP after calling the whole way they start to give respect. And when they do that it's time to break out the semi-bluffs.

So my gameplan for AQo between two loosies is always the same pre-flop, and flop. The turn can be different, depending on how long they've seen me, yada yada.

And the FUN fellers in 6-max are the 75/45 guys.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to denigrate our benevolent mod, but I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now.

Preflop, yeah, 6-max is as easy as thinking about it as if every hand were folded to MP2, but postflop is a whole different world and always has been.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know we can both be right about this, right? 6 max can be exactly the same game as if FR was folded to MP2, AND 6 max can play differently postflop on the average. The reason this can be true is because I made no claims about differences in the average opponent who plays 6 max versus the average FR opponent. The one at 6 max may be laggier, sure, but if you put a table full of those guys at a FR table, you'd be surprised at how similar it is. The problem is that knowing 6 max tends to opponents who are a little laggier on the average means that new 6 max players tend to play a little laggier ALWAYS. IMHO, it's a much better strategy to tell people that the game is exactly the same, but watch your opponents and adjust properly, than it is to tell them to start playing laggier right out of the gate.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 PM

yeah jesus, if u lose for 300k hands ur a losing player. if u lose for 30k that happens, but not at the micros and it likely means ur picking games where ur edge isnt gonna be as large as ud like, if for no other reason than to keep urself from going insane from insane variance.

says the kid who plays at wsex and is a slight loser pre-rakeback in the 3/6 and 5/T [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]