Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Play a hand against me and maximize your value

[ QUOTE ]

The call raise river line looks good, the downside of this is that the call/raise river line will backfire 1 in 5 times when a flush card hits

[/ QUOTE ]

bleh

Some kinda scare card is gonna come on the turn OR river pretty damned often. That may mean he has AA, and the top card pairs, or w/e. Jam the flop. He will probably still lead the turn or river, because that is what people do in 6max.

There's a similar hand in poker, gaming and life, but I haven't read that book in like 3 years, so I forgot exactly what it was. The general principle is the same. When a card may come on a later street to freeze your action, it is often better to get the money in now.

Also, even if he DOES freeze up to our cap with top pair, he may improve to trips or 2 pair later on, which will make him come back to life on us, and we will PROFIT.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The call raise river line looks good,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the least profitable way to play the hand besides calling down, or folding.

If a Q 8 or 5 come he'll very seldom 3bet a worse hand. If a heart, T, or nine comes he'll only 3bet with his strongest of hands, like the ones that beat us.

Also it never allows him to 3bet or cap a worse hand, which is all we're really interested in.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:22 AM

Capping the flop is 100000% the right play.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 AM

after you 3bet the flop your range is 99-AA, AQ, A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](possibly more [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] broadway combos available, but since not everyone raises them from the SB we can omit the others to discount a bit).

21 combos(99-JJ, heart/straight draw) call down the cap or call to draw(given the pot size and board drawiness).

27(QQ-AA, AQ) combos give action on most turn cards.

so we're 27:21 faves to catch extra action on the turn versus capping the flop. problem is, scare cards DO come on the turn for some holdings even if there are not very many. say 10% of the time a scarecard comes.

(.56*7)*.9-(.44*6)=3.53-2.64=.89 this makes it appear we're going to be better off waiting for the turn, although i would have initially thought the flop cap was the way to go. this of course assumes most pairs call down.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its important to note Kit cannot have the flush draw to go along with his hand

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good point. i almost never 3 bet a flush draw HU when OOP, for 3 reasons:

-even if it's very slighty +EV on the flop, it prevents me from taking a CR on the turn and that can cost me a SB.

-it opens me up to getting pwned on the turn when i bet. even if I decide to check, I'm probably not getting a free card.

-even with a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], there is a nonzero probability that my hand does not have much EV vs my opponents range after the flop raise.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Kit makes some interesting points with it depends. I play mostly live FR (10-7 players) and some will fold to me if I show too much strength; such as b/r/c flop and a b/r turn. I'm better off capping the flop, calling the turn and raising the river. I don't play 6-max, interesting thread.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kit makes some interesting points with it depends. I play mostly live FR (10-7 players) and some will fold to me if I show too much strength; such as b/r/c flop and a b/r turn. I'm better off capping the flop, calling the turn and raising the river. I don't play 6-max, interesting thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you don't think about ranges critically, it should be easy to see that capping the flop severely reduced our chances of getting led into on the turn.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Even if you don't think about ranges critically, it should be easy to see that capping the flop severely reduced our chances of getting led into on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

unless they hold QQ or 88. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

again it depends on who your playing.

Your passive nit is not leading this turn with anything you beat if you cap the flop.

Aggressive TAGs, many folks on 2+2, and myself are often still leading this turn with hands you beat, like AA/KK/AQ. especially in 6 max.

fwiw I have not read many posts on here that recommend checking AA/KK on the turn after a flop cap.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:07 PM

cap flop, raise turn if able.