Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: **** OFFICIAL**** My team got screwed by the committee thread

[ QUOTE ]
Syracuse:

First 10-6 team out of the Big East not to make the tournament ever. 3-2 against RPI top 25. Wins against Georgetown, @Providence, Villanova, @Marquette. No loss all season by more than 12 points, with the 12 point loss to ND the only one in double digits. Higher in the Big East standings than both Marquette and Villanova who are in.

Pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

They also were 7-3 in their last ten and anyone who saw this club play could see they were indeed getting to be a formidable team. Why does no one really complain about Stanford getting in more vocally. 4-6 since Feb.1 and losers of 4 of their last five. They lost by 30 at home to Air Force early, pretty ridiculous. I heard they had injuries, but so what, you can't just throw out losses as if they didn't happen. How is their resume better than the 'Cuse?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not joking at all---Illinois is #3 in the big11ten. I'll accept an argument for other teams, especially MSU, but none has a hands down argument over Illinois. The differentiation is very small between all those teams, yet the seeding was a huge differenece....kind of a joke.

MSU's big non-conf win was over a very young Texas team early in the year that was still finding its way

IU's big non-conf win was @ UConn and pretty much a yawn everywhere else

Illinois has more road/nuetral wins over NCAA teams than the other 3 combined

[/ QUOTE ]

Being one of the last 2 or 3 teams in, a #11 or #12 seed sounds about right.

Va Tech is going to be a real challenge for Illinois. I'll be impressed if they can stay close with the Hokies (the 2.5 line notwithstanding).

[/ QUOTE ]

minraise,
I understand that many do not like the complaining, but I'm just questioning the assumptions and criteria everyone is using. As ligastar points out here, somehow, Illinois was one of the last 2 or 3 in. If Illinois resume is put to a blind test verse MSU, IU, Purdue, etc, it's tough to see Illinois ever being more than one line below any of them.

It's ridiculous that I've watched pundits even questioning why Illinois is in the tourney.

I'm trying to improve understanding for future years.
I'm starting to come to the realization that no one really wants an improved understanding, however, on any of the forums I regularly frequent. At this point, I'm pretty close to just calling it quits in regards to posting on every forum. I know this would make many of you quite happy. It's just not worth my time and effort to constantly beat my head against a wall.

I mean Ligastar is questioning whether they will even hang with V Tech. Considering KenPom has Illinois favored to win, Teamrankings has it a 53/47 V Tech edge (less than a point difference in spread), and that Illinois hung with and had a second half lead in the vast majority of their losses, I find it very likely this opinion was just based on the last 2 or 3 team in the dance that is based on terrible seeding. Yeah, it gives Illinois a good fighting shot at a sweet16, but it's still one of the grossest underseeds I've seen. How IU is seeded ahead of the Illini is truly beyond me and shows that the inmates are running the asylum!

There is a reason why Illinois is a common pick for both their first round and the sweet16 among many 'experts' (that term is used quite loosely by me). When it comes down to it, they recognize Illinois is one of the best 25 teams in the country.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:20 PM

The sad thing is that last year's Illinois team, with this draw, would've had a great, great shot at the final four.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Syracuse:

First 10-6 team out of the Big East not to make the tournament ever. 3-2 against RPI top 25. Wins against Georgetown, @Providence, Villanova, @Marquette. No loss all season by more than 12 points, with the 12 point loss to ND the only one in double digits. Higher in the Big East standings than both Marquette and Villanova who are in.

Pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this about sums it up

Also, if Syracuse deserves to get in, and they clearly do, then Drexel also deserves to be in. How the hell does Arkansas get in before these teams? Illinois? Stanford? Texas Tech? (last two to a smaller extent)

Syracuse, Florida St. and Drexel are all better teams. Not to mention Kansas St has to be included in this debate somewhere, even though their NC SOS is atrocious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to Syracuse, Arkansas has a better RPI, a better SOS, a better record against the Top 50, a better non conference RPI, and a better non conference SOS.

Syracuse played 17 straight games before a true road game to start the season...its their own fault.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't collapse and get in the tourney. See Air Force for evidence of this. Clemson didn't deserve to get in.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're basically agreeing that they were punished for playing the hard part of their schedule at the end?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

KSU beat texas tech in their conference tournament by 20 and tt gets in and ksu doesn't. boooooooooooooo.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 PM

They didn't play much to start the season.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:33 PM

mt2r,

Lol, I can't believe I am saying this but....don't stop posting here. You bring a lot of insight to this forum.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 PM

Ohio State....since when is Ohio in the South and Florida in the Midwest? Now I have to drive 20 hours to watch sweet sixteen games instead of six.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 PM

Did the "bracket buster" weekend do any bracket busting???? (I haven't really looked) With only 6 mid-major at large bids I think they should rename this irrelevant series.