Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Best Cover Songs

no one mentioned that elvis did a ton of cover songs that were at least as good as the originals. my mind is fried right now...must be bedtime. elvis's covers became elvis songs.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how many hip hop devotees are actually aware that music made by artists these days is often cover versions of much older stuff.

e.g. Fugees - Killing Me Softly

original by Charles Fox & Norman Gimbel recorded in 1971 by Lori Lieberman in turn based on a poem by Lieberman "Killing Me Softly With His Blues" inspired by Don McLean's "Empty Chairs"

been covered in it's time by ...

Roberta Flack (who won a Grammy with it in 1974), Tori Amos, Eva Cassidy, Perry Como, Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, Toni Braxton, Alicia Keys and Shirley Bassey

Although I think the Fugees did it best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like the Roberta Flack version.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:52 AM

I rather like Stone Temple Pilots' rendition of Zeppelin's "Dancing Days." I like the original too, but STP took it and made it sound like an STP song.

I think most covers of Dylan songs are better than Dylan's versions. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2006, 01:55 AM

I really like Tears For Fears' "Mad World", and the cover of it from Donnie Darko by Gary Jules.

Also both Hendrix's (just Hendrix'?" and SRV's Voodoo Child (Slight Return) are high quality.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 AM

One thing I hate about some covers is that they are played too faithfully, like note for note, to the original. If you're not going to bring anything new to the song, don't frigging play it.

The aforementioned STP verison of Dancing Days is one of those for me.

Grand Funk's version of The Locomotion is better than the original. Genesis' version of You Can't Hurry Love is great. And of course Manfred Mann's Earth Band's cover of Blinded By The Light blew the original Springsteen away. GNR's version of Knockin' on Heaven's door is a good version. Pearl Jam's version of that car wreck tune (can't recall the title) is good.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I hate about some covers is that they are played too faithfully, like note for note, to the original. If you're not going to bring anything new to the song, don't frigging play it.

The aforementioned STP verison of Dancing Days is one of those for me.

Grand Funk's version of The Locomotion is better than the original. Genesis' version of You Can't Hurry Love is great. And of course Manfred Mann's Earth Band's cover of Blinded By The Light blew the original Springsteen away. GNR's version of Knockin' on Heaven's door is a good version. Pearl Jam's version of that car wreck tune (can't recall the title) is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pearl Jam cover is called "Last Kiss" and it was originally done by Wayne Cochran & the C.C. Riders. They had little success with it, but Frank Wilson and The Cavaliers covered it in 1964 and it was a number one hit.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Cake's version of 'I Will Survive'. Sheryl Crow's version of 'Sweet Child O' Mine' is vastly superior to GNR's.

[/ QUOTE ]
l o l
Old 06-07-2006, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

and possibly the best cover of "Stairway to Heaven" ever was Frank Zappa's - complete with 7 part brass harmony version of that guitar solo...

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you by chance have this? Send it to me plz.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and possibly the best cover of "Stairway to Heaven" ever was Frank Zappa's - complete with 7 part brass harmony version of that guitar solo...

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to hear this.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:46 AM

Frank Zappa - Stairway is on ....

The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life