Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: nfl base defenses

Defenses should imply a Bear more often than they do. That is my only gripe about the NFL.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Defenses should imply a Bear more often than they do. That is my only gripe about the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-22-2007, 06:38 PM

that pic is so awesome I printed it and have it on my refrigerator.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cover 2 is a 4-3, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. While it is the default, there's no reason you couldn't be in a 3-4 and still have your safeties playing cover 2.

Edit: Just noticed that Pokerfink already said this, meh.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cover 2 is a 4-3, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. While it is the default, there's no reason you couldn't be in a 3-4 and still have your safeties playing cover 2.

Edit: Just noticed that Pokerfink already said this, meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the purposes of this thread my answer stands. Every team the OP listed as "cover 2" is running the 4-3.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someone explain to me the "46 defense"

[/ QUOTE ]

First, no one runs the 46 defense anymore. They might jump into it for a play here and there, but as a standard defense its dead in the NFL because it gets wrecked by a West Coast Offense.

Take a standard 4-3 defense and shift the D-linemen so they are overloading the weak side. Bring both outside LBs to the strong side, leave the MLB in the middle, and bring the SS into the box. Have the Corners bump hard and send a ton of people to disrupt the QB as quickly as possible, but you better get there quick because there is only 1 safety deep to help the CBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, I agree that I have no clue how OP came up with the Bears running the 46.

However, try and find tapes of the Bears vs. SD & in pre-season. Before the Mike Brown injury, the Bears were putting Archuleta in the box an awful lot with a run gap assignment. It might not have been the 46, but sure was similar.

It was fairly effective and made sense because Archuleta can't cover anybody downfield anyways, Mike Brown is a great safety when healthy and Urlacher probably gets deeper into coverage than any other LB.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM

Vikes run 4-3 cover two, but a lot of 4-2 actually because people dont try running on them anyways and they need all the corners they can get.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 PM

Before playing Madden I didn't understand any of this stuff. lol. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Madden! I love talking about and thinking about football defenses now.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, try and find tapes of the Bears vs. SD & in pre-season. Before the Mike Brown injury, the Bears were putting Archuleta in the box an awful lot with a run gap assignment. It might not have been the 46, but sure was similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many teams bring an 8th man in the box to help in run support, and yet this doesn't make in anything similar to the 46. The 46 was practically a 6-2 with only 3 true defensive backs, and was formulated to face 2wr/1te sets and get as much pressure as possible and put the quarterback on his back.

The 3 interior lineman lineup to cover both guards and the center giving the Mike free roam without being blocked, while the two outside backers both lineup on the same side as the te, inside and outside shoulder, etc...the only true DE was split wide on the weakside for an edge rush agains the OT, and the 6 man fron made it difficult to put a hat on the weakside LB (actually a SS), who had the option to blitz free or roam unblocked like the Mike.

It was the exact opposite of bend-don't-break, and worked on teh premise of taking a lot of aggressive risks and was essentially feast or famine. The Bears feasted with it in the'80s because they had the talent to run it. Rex Ryan feasted with it in certain situations in the early 2000's, as did the Titans/Jeff Fisher using some of his old Ryan playbooks in his early years.....but most often, it's a style that can be roasted if you don't have the talent, and even if you do, can be negated by 3+ wideouts and two te sets.

It's faded out of use due to the proliferation of singleback 3wr sets and two te sets, etc. For example, when Parcells began using 3wr sets on 1st down to counter Ryan's 46, it was viewed as unorthodox, yet in today's game nobody would blink an eye if any team were to come out with 3 or 4 wide on 1st or second down.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before playing Madden I didn't understand any of this stuff. lol. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Madden! I love talking about and thinking about football defenses now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have to agree here, Madden taught me quite a bit about football. Curiously my roommate (who has followed football much longer than I) has never figured this stuff out. Even if I run every down he'll still throw out nickel/dime/quarter!!??? packages.