Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Dilemma: Still being paid from old job

If they ask for it back tell them you didnt notice and have since spent everything.... they will usually offer you a deal were you only have to pay back a lesser amount. Hopefully it will last a life time [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 02:51 PM

Sooner or later the Bobs will fix the glitch

Old 02-28-2007, 02:55 PM

I thought the OOT lawyers would've chimmed in by now with 6 completely different interpretations of what is legal or not. Since I consider myself one of these lawyers, I'll toss in my "expert" advice:

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is fraud. They [censored] up, not you. If someone wants to give you free money, you aren't doing anything illegal, amirite?

Of course, cashing the checks would be pretty immoral. One thing you may want to keep in mind is that you could easily be risking a good referral from this company. If that really doesn't matter to you, I'd continue to keep quiet. Are the checks directly depositted into your bank account? If so, simply say that you never noticed. When they ask for it back, say you spent it all.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:57 PM

i am not a lawyer, and regardless of the legal interpretation of knowingly cashing checks being paid out to a former contractor for work no longer being done, a thief is a thief.

i am curious from the lawyers though, can he be held liable? regardless of outcome, OP, whatcha going to do?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Old 02-28-2007, 03:22 PM

It's not fraud, but that doesn't mean he gets to keep the money, or that they can't get it back. In the US, they could sue him for "conversion" or something similar.

**** NOT GIVING LEGAL ADVICE ****
Old 02-28-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its their screw up and its not like your cashing checks. I am actually curious what the reprecussions would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolz

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a [censored] moron homer? why did you highlight that. If you can read he is not cashing checks. They go directly into his bank account. so go away. Where is dids to ban you.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the OOT lawyers would've chimmed in by now with 6 completely different interpretations of what is legal or not. Since I consider myself one of these lawyers, I'll toss in my "expert" advice:

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is fraud. They [censored] up, not you. If someone wants to give you free money, you aren't doing anything illegal, amirite?

Of course, cashing the checks would be pretty immoral. One thing you may want to keep in mind is that you could easily be risking a good referral from this company. If that really doesn't matter to you, I'd continue to keep quiet. Are the checks directly depositted into your bank account? If so, simply say that you never noticed. When they ask for it back, say you spent it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOW he's committing fraud.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not fraud, but that doesn't mean he gets to keep the money, or that they can't get it back. In the US, they could sue him for "conversion" or something similar.

**** NOT GIVING LEGAL ADVICE ****

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think they can. Like I said, I had the same thing happen to me, I looked into it and found there wasnt anything they could do. They never contacted me or asked for it back or anything (wasnt as much as this guys tho)
Old 02-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Keep taking the money as long as the fools keep handing it out.

When they cease paying you, go into full on aggressive mode and demand to know why the checks stopped.
If they ask for their $ back, get really aggressive about how they've broken some "secret" contract/deal. Insist that revealing said contract is strictly prevented by the agreement. Make vague threats involving higher ups, cover ups, strippers, drugs, and guns. Insure them if the checks continue, you can keep your mouth shut and won't get the press/media involved in this hassle.