Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Re: NL or Limit in the beginning?

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of answers, thank you all for taking the time to answer. Someone gave me the suggestion of depositing $500 to party to take advantage of a bonus there. This is what I did and I'm starting out with Limit poker but I'm probably going to try No limit later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limit is easier to learn because there are fewer variables to learn to deal with. Another reason to start out with limit is that the available literature for beginners at limit is much better than for no limit. With Ed Miller's 2 limit HE books, plus other good ones like Jones and Hilger, you have everything you need for a solid foundation.

There is nothing comparable for no limit at the moment. While 2+2ers are looking forward to the Sklansky/Miller no limit book, it appears that it will not be anywhere near as basic as, say, GSHE.

Some people recommend SnGs as a way to learn no limit. First, there is even less published information available on SnGs than on no limit. Second, tournaments and cash no limit are 2 entirely different games, and you cannot play one like you would the other. And single table tournaments are quite different from multi-table tournaments. For regular tournaments, Phil Gordon's book plus the Harrington series are all you need to get started in the game. For SnGs, there are no books in print that will do the job. The only good publically available info on SnGs is here at the STT forum. Again, correct SnG strategy does not work at MTTs, and is even less applicable at no limit cash games.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you're independently wealthy or in a situation of very good gainful employment, start out in micros, it will hurt less.

Cam

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize .5/1 limit wasn't the micros anymore.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing comparable for no limit at the moment. While 2+2ers are looking forward to the Sklansky/Miller no limit book, it appears that it will not be anywhere near as basic as, say, GSHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

GSiHE is not exclusively a limit book. Admittedly Miller discloses his bias toward the limit game and devotes more pages to it, but the NLHE content is also solid. (Actually the basic strategy is simpler!) Roughly speaking, I imagine that just as SSHE is the post-GSiHE book for limit players, the new one will be the post-GSiHE book for NL players.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 PM

I would start with the one you like and try to be good at it.

For me I started with Limit, and I've never bothered to switch to NL. I just like Limit and understand it better.

But most people will tell you that your bankroll will fluctuate less if you play No Limit, not more.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:32 AM

Sounds like a very sound decission. I started out pretty much the same way.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:50 PM

OP: play at the beginner tables and take advantage of the lower limits. YES, .50/1 is low and it's the lowest party offers (normally), but if you're just starting out you're going to burn through buy ins pretty quick. Also, the PP buy-ins are low at 25x BB.

The lowest SnGs on PP are $5, those give you a lot of play for your money.

ENJOY
Old 05-12-2006, 05:39 PM

Interesting post, i wish i had started here - you have found the best place to start - RIGHT HERE!
In your position i would try both games at micro limits and see which i prefer.
I have seen similar posts in the past and too many of them have said that playing Limit has damaged their abilty to play No Limit, most of the basic concepts are similar but they are two completely different games.
I would suggest that you purchase Getting Started in Hold'Em (GSIH) - give it a read and see if that helps in any decision you make.
On a final point, do not risk all your cash, if you are losing at a particular game, you could post some hands on the relevent forums on this site to see where you went wrong. Remember that Limit, NL, SNG trnys and MTT trnys are different and require different strategys so tread carefully when you decide to play - keep the limits low.
I hope your poker journey is a successful one.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:19 PM

NL
start with pokerstars $5 tables