Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Take it down now?

NLTP. Buy now. Best book ever imho. It's helping me to stop being a fish. And I feel much more in control in situations - I play with more with a plan now.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:35 PM

I've read it. And I think if you go through page by page, you can pretty easily find something I've misapplied on every single one.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:35 PM

did you like it?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
frank,

I used to think exactly like you. But not anymore tbh. I think villain folds an overpair to the c/r very close to never and the C/R also traps the dead money from SB and well as winning a cbet from the PFR

[/ QUOTE ]

You have much better table selection than I do. A check raise is just an invitation for good players to fold. Don't assume all your opponents are donkeys. Many are, but even donkeys occasionally have an epiphany.

What holdings can villains have that the turn card will give them a 2nd best hand they are willing to go to the wall with? By betting teh flop, hero is representing TP. AK or overcards (along with TP and PPs)with back door draws will call a reasonable flop bet.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you like it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I don't think it's what I need right now. What I need right now is the upcoming SSNLHE book, then to play 20k more hands, then to reread NLTP.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
frank,

I used to think exactly like you. But not anymore tbh. I think villain folds an overpair to the c/r very close to never and the C/R also traps the dead money from SB and well as winning a cbet from the PFR

[/ QUOTE ]

You have much better table selection than I do. A check raise is just an invitation for good players to fold. Don't assume all your opponents are donkeys. Many are, but even donkeys occasionally have an epiphany.

What holdings can villains have that the turn card will give them a 2nd best hand they are willing to go to the wall with? By betting teh flop, hero is representing TP. AK or overcards (along with TP and PPs)with back door draws will call a reasonable flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed about letting them off the hook with a checkraise, or even a B3B-AI. If I get it heads up I'm probably just calling the flop raise to get him a bit more pot-commited. If this is the type of opponent that is likely to be overplaying something like a pair of 9s, I'll be much more likely to shove it on the flop, though.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:43 PM

cant remember what the word is but Im posting without reading any replies.

---

the justification for calling pre flop is the implied odds when you make a set. you calles about $0.75 so to make the call profitable you have to win at least $7.50 from him when the 4 comes up. taking the pot down now is winning only $3.

the flop is great and non threatening, and unlikely he has a five. most likely overpair.

with the idea of justifying the pre flop call in mind, do you think taking the pot here on the flop is profitable?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not necesarrily. Suppose the opponent has AK. If we CR, he surely folds. If we lead, he surely calls at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

calls with AK with A high no draw??? what, like 30% of the time max. If we go for the C/R then we get the 1 bet out of him anyway, so surely a C/R is better if his cbetting % is high than his calling with a-high on that flop %, which is pretty much every1

[ QUOTE ]
A check raise is just an invitation for good players to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

nearly all our money is won from donks. On this board, we aren't winning a big pot from a good player anyway we play it. You really think a good player calls a b/3b AI?

[ QUOTE ]
What holdings can villains have that the turn card will give them a 2nd best hand they are willing to go to the wall with?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much any 2 overcards
Old 06-09-2006, 03:50 PM

i think you should make the raise a little more substantial, the pot is 10 by the time it gets to you, a 10 bet makes the pot only 20 and you are likely facing an overpair. I think at this level an overpair way overplayed most of the time (TT+) and hope you arent suked out on. i would make it 15 or just push. i dont think anyone got a taste of this flop except you.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it also risks sending the flop through checked down. That would be a complete disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

if the flop gets checked through, they were folding to a lead anyway.

and giving the free card lets them hit a 2nd best hand

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the turn is a 3, 5, 8, or 9?

Good luck extracting value from 2nd best hands then...