Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: the most famous 2+2 poster has died

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I for one am willing to risk perma-ban to say: Good riddens!

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope it hurt Jerry.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so a radical religous nutjob died. Can't say I'm the least bit sad....kind of happy actually.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when it's a fat, disgusting, racist piece of crap, i say have at it

[/ QUOTE ]

righteously hating others for righteously hating others.....nh

[/ QUOTE ]

It's what Jerry would've wanted.

Part of that golden rule and all...

b
Old 05-16-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's how Jerry made his living

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 05-16-2007, 06:26 PM

Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they are older than 4 years and i dont know if they can easily be found. someone might be able to. they could be under rev. or jerry fallwell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you remember this?

http://www.twoplustwo.com/digests/feb98_main.html

Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they are older than 4 years and i dont know if they can easily be found. someone might be able to. they could be under rev. or jerry fallwell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing memory. Posting on a poker forum on a Sunday? Tsk, tsk.

http://twoplustwo.com/digests/feb98_main.html

[ QUOTE ]

Sklansky's naked women post
Posted by: Christina
Posted on: Sunday, 22 February 1998, at 12:11 a.m.

I've watched the forum with some surprise for a few days since David posted this "catchy" subject header. I felt it was time to voice my opinion.

I'm no prude, and consider myself an avid poker student. I love to read David's work. But my first reaction to it was not a poker reaction. I am surprised there wasn't one post from anyone offended by it. I may be the only one who had that response, and if so, let's get back to poker.

Obviously most of the forum participants are male, just as the vast majority of poker players are male, but someone of David's stature certainly doesn't need to resort to this kind of tactic to attract attention.

Actually, now that I think about it, a poker analogy does come to mind--from no limit hold'em. If you raise someone before the flop with J's or Q's and are reraised a big amount, it's well known you should probably fold because you're either up against an even bigger pair and are a big dog or you may be up against A-K and are a small favorite. You have lousy equity in the hand. Similarly, David stood to gain little from choosing this headline. With his name recognition and status as a forum host, he was getting a small incremental gain from the male readers, but took an unnecessary risk of being a big "dog" with female readers, and maybe some more sensitive males too. Even though I'm fairly certain he didn't intend to offend anyone, and was simply trying to add some spice, a better strategy might have been to choose a catchy headline like "Purple Poker Pumpkins" or "Alien will win 1998 WSOP" or even the more balanced but blander "Pictures of attractive naked people."

I would bet this type of come-on would have been certain to deliver the same expected click-through value with much lower "risk."

I haven't seen this phenomenon before, but it appears to me his thinking went momentarilly fuzzy. He might wish to consider how this was perceived by his followers, especially the many female ones.

* Re: Sklansky's naked women post
Posted by: Earl (brikshoe@iquest.net)
Posted on: Sunday, 22 February 1998, at 12:25 a.m.

From one of today's foremost web designers (and instructors): "There are only two kinds of images people will wait to see on the web -- and they both involve bodies. Unless you have an image of a naked or dead body on your page, ...." Perhaps Mr. Sklansky was using an analogous "attention-getter."

Posted by: Jerry Fallwell
Posted on: Sunday, 22 February 1998, at 2:22 a.m.

I can't speak for Mr. Sklansky, but it seemed obvious to me that his headline was pure satire, even a statement on the headlines used by advertisers for years to get your attention. Don't you remember ,"SEX!", "Now that I've got your attention", and so on. he was being completely obvious with his intent, he had something for EVERYONE to read. Now that you have made this statement I'm sure you will see a post from him letting you know the obvious,... that he meant no harm. If his post really offended you, then I would suggest that you slow down on the amount of poker that you play, as you will be going to Tilt-Town much too often.

Posted by: David Sklansky (Dsklansky@aol.com)
Posted on: Sunday, 22 February 1998, at 6:38 a.m.

I once wrote that those people who get angry at someone who cuts them off in their car are being illogical unless they would get equally mad if the car in front of them was cut off. The only exception would be if they knew it was you they cut off. Therefore I will only accept your indignation if you would have also berated me had I offered naked men. I did like your no limit hold em analogy. I didn't know any females were aware of that concept (just kidding). But this brings up another point. Any respect I have achieved has come because people can count on what I say to be truthful, accurate, illuminating, and helpful to them. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether I am a jerk or a nice guy. In fact I sometimes purposely am not nice just to make this point clear. If you are relying on someone's expert technical advice it is ONLY his accuracy that matters. There are some endeavors where political correctness matters. Being President of the United States might be one of them. But his ADVISOR on curing cancer better be the best man for the job even if he married a sheep. And if more people thought this way less people would die. (Bet This was a little different answer than you expected you mass murderer.)

o Re: Sklansky's naked women post
Posted by: Jim Mogal (mogalj@candw.lc)
Posted on: Sunday, 22 February 1998, at 10:18 a.m.

What Drama! When I tuned into the forum this morning the first message I saw was Christina's...I saw at the end of it that David had replied and I thought to myself....Oh God I hope he doesn't APOLOGIZE.

What a relief! David, Congratulations on an appropriate response....Christina, PLEASE lighten up. If you ever look a the notorious r.p.g on Usenet you would realize that David was just spoofing the type of spamming that goes on there and ,of course, is absent from this forum.

You mentioned, Christina, that maybe you are the only one who was offended and if so let's get back to poker...

I hope that this is, in fact, the case.

Posted by: Dan Salmonsen (dan@salmonsen.org)
Posted on: Sunday, 22 February 1998, at 2:08 p.m.

"I didn't know any females were aware of that concept..."

Nice re-raise.

Posted by: BobA
Posted on: Sunday, 22 February 1998, at 9:15 a.m.

I was pissed too. I clicked on the sight and there weren't no babes there!

That's ok I guess. You gotta understand that David's been married 7 times (tied with Larry King) so I think he's got broads on the brain.

Posted by: Jessica Vecchione (JessicaVecchione@twoplustwo.com)
Posted on: Sunday, 22 February 1998, at 12:06 p.m.

Christina, at least two male friends of David's thought the title was at least inappropriate and told him. I called David immediately when I saw it and asked him to try and stay away from that kind of sensational headline. As someone pointed out, it does spoof RGP's spam....but we don't want to welcome real posts like it, or have to devote an entire thread to explaining our sense of humor. In private, David did agree. I hope you'll post some poker material, as we have far too few women posting to date. Yet, when I look around the poker room, I see more and more women playing all the time.

+ Re: Sklansky's naked women post
Posted by: Rev Fallwell
Posted on: Sunday, 22 February 1998, at 1:49 p.m.

Boooo! Hisssss! Now you are doing just the opposite and playing up to this person because she is a women. If one of the regular women who post here complained, I could see it, but this women has offered nothing to this group except a complaint. When I read a post by a female player asking about strategy I don't qualify it in my mind as to gender. If there are more or less females than males posting it does not matter! It's about poker not gender. Maybe Mr. Sklansky showed a little bit of poor taste, but his headline was certainly not offensive.

# Re: Sklansky's naked women post
Posted by: Jessica Vecchione (JessicaVecchione@twoplustwo.com)
Posted on: Sunday, 22 February 1998, at 2:35 p.m.

Inappropriate was the term I used, not offensive. Also, I might add that Mason called me a few minutes after my last post and asked me why I didn't mention that he was one of David's friends who considered the post title inappropriate. He also added that this was exactly the type of thread he wanted to avoid on our forum. As I have written before, we are trying to maintain a dignified forum, for our readers, and because we have now obtained national attention. (David and Mason will be featured in an article in Cigar Afficionado Magazine in the spring, among other things.) We are also involved in promotions with radio and television stations, as well as national bookstore chains. We often direct their representatives to this site. One of the things Mason tries to do with through Two Plus Two Publishing is advance the image of gambling as a serious subject. In my experience working with our promotions, this is often difficult to get across, even to intelligent people.

I truly am not interested in discussing gender or political correctness. I am interested in maintaining decorum and making people feel comfortable posting here. As I have written before, I think we all know what is appropriate and what is not on a gambling forum.

My job at Two Plus Two is to address all complaints, male or female. A couple of weeks ago I immediately addressed a complaint that involved an inappropriate racial remark. It came from half a dozen people to my private email address. It is also my job to try and get as many people involved on the forum as possible, and I believe women are currently under-represented, and I hope that will change soon.

Now, let's be done with this and get back to gambling problems.

Posted by: Boris
Posted on: Friday, 27 February 1998, at 12:32 a.m.

lets gamble im to yong for naked women

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-16-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ray,

For a minute there I thought you were announcing the death of Dan Bright.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Well, any minister who loses his virginity to his mother in an outhouse *should* be pretty liberal regarding matters of sexuality and satire.

Well done Rev. Falwell for defending free speech on 2+2.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Obv. not posts by the real Jerry Falwell.

I am confident if it really was him, he would have posted a simple message of hope and faith. That message would have been SALAZAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Glad to see its not one of the 2+2 heros.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I for one am willing to risk perma-ban to say: Good riddens!

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope it hurt Jerry.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so a radical religous nutjob died. Can't say I'm the least bit sad....kind of happy actually.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when it's a fat, disgusting, racist piece of crap, i say have at it

[/ QUOTE ]

righteously hating others for righteously hating others.....nh

[/ QUOTE ]

he was a fat, hate-monger, racist scum bag and although i'm not having a party to celebrate his death, i'm certainly not mourning it either. i suppose you shed a tear when strom thurmond died as well.