Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Flopping a set: slow playing or not?

remz, some people like to be clever instead of making useful posts. if you're not new to the internet you already knew that, and if you are new, keep that in mind. check out the books that others have recommended above, and good luck.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:52 PM

*grunch*

Hand 1-You don't have a set, you have trips. The check/raise is meh,since you can't be sure somebody will bet, but as played you need to lead the turn and river.

Hand 2-If you're not going to raise the flop, then why aren't you raising the turn? What are you waiting for?

Hand 3- Just lead the flop and go from there.

Basically you shouldn't be slowplaying any of these hands.

Edit: Heh heh, the hypnotist thing is classic.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny but that doesn't help much. I went here looking for help and you laugh at me. I'm in a beginner section of the forum and people laugh at beginners. Maybe I'll quit that forum before quitting poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't confuse beginner with micro. Skill and stakes are indpendent of each other. Micro only means we're more likely to be nits with our money.

You're not in the Beginner forum.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Funny but that doesn't help much. I went here looking for help and you laugh at me. I'm in a beginner section of the forum and people laugh at beginners. Maybe I'll quit that forum before quitting poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't confuse beginner with micro. Skill and stakes are indpendent of each other. Micro only means we're more likely to be nits with our money.

You're not in the Beginner forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's written in the FAQ:

"1. Posting guidelines and etiquette.
The micro limit forum is meant for the discussion of micro limit Texas Holdem and issues that are relevant to beginning and microlimit players. (...) Micro limits refer to Holdem limit games with stakes less than $2/$4, but this forum also functions as the de facto limit Holdem beginner forum"
Old 04-26-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dude, if a couple of jokes about the book you read (that's right, they were about the Hell book, not about you at all) puts you on life tilt you are probably in the wrong hobby. If you want to learn, read the books Wookie suggested, read hand posts here and respond to them and see where your ideas end up. But trust me when I say this, no one cares if you go all martyr on us and go get educated somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'll read the books, can someone tell me why Hellmuth's book is so bad? thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 10:48 PM

Fair enough. Your point and my point aren't from the same perspectives.

SSHE will change your life.

Hand number 1 isn't a set.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dude, if a couple of jokes about the book you read (that's right, they were about the Hell book, not about you at all) puts you on life tilt you are probably in the wrong hobby. If you want to learn, read the books Wookie suggested, read hand posts here and respond to them and see where your ideas end up. But trust me when I say this, no one cares if you go all martyr on us and go get educated somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'll read the books, can someone tell me why Hellmuth's book is so bad? thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think Hellmuths book is so bad ... especially if you a total noob/retard

Hellmuth's book has the noob playing super tight to get a feel for the game (playing that tight will generally lead to positive win rate ... but only if you play in games that suck a lot)

It should be noted that SSSH will have the noob play many hands and will generally have to make too many decisions all at once (and since they generally suck ... they'll just piss their money away)

Hellmuth
has you start off just playing 77+, AKs, AKo, AQ (yes??) - and all for a raise (yes??)

then opens your game up with suited connectors.

generally this style is super boring and (as said before) only lead to profit when games are really bad (let's say 2c-4c to 25c-50c ... anything above that and you'll be toast)

get the 2+2 books read them first and make some posts (try to make those post in another person's thread ... instead of making your own)
Old 04-26-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer is that you'll have to trust us on this one. A lot of the advice is just plain wrong, incomplete, or misleading. Plunk down $30 for Small Stakes Hold'em. Read it, and get back to us. You'll be glad you did.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:43 AM

or if you cant find SSHE then get Low Limit Holdem or Getting Started In Holdem. LLH teaches you to play a bit weaker and tighter than SSHE but for a beginner I think this is a good thing to help avoid misapplication of SSHE which leads to spewville.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 AM

Hand 1 is fine, hand 2 you gotta raise that flop but even if you don't not raising the turn is a crime, and hand 3 I don't mind calling because the pot is small.