Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: 100NL How bad is this?

I still don't see the EV in checking flop situations like this a higher percentage than betting.

I understand you don't want hands that you beat to fold, but when they bet the turn and river how do you consistantly determine when you are being taken to valuetown vs getting value from a worse hand???

Where would you find a fold on the turn or river if you checked the flop and they both come blank/dry cards?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually bet flop/check turn/call riv the way this hand played out.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you hate a c/r on this flop? On a flop this dry I like cutting off villain's opportunity and encouraging villain to think that his smaller pair is good.
I don't like his river bet much, but I think you need to call here for the reasons the others have already stated.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf at bad. This is fine.

Betting this flop is for the weak and is almost never the most profitable line.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-17-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't see the EV in checking flop situations like this a higher percentage than betting.

I understand you don't want hands that you beat to fold, but when they bet the turn and river how do you consistantly determine when you are being taken to valuetown vs getting value from a worse hand???

Where would you find a fold on the turn or river if you checked the flop and they both come blank/dry cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

ace river maybe.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You can be taken to valuetown just as much when villain check/calls on the flop and turn. And you might even face a c/r or a donk bet on a street that you wanted to check behind (esp. the river). And on a dry board like this, villain's betting range will usually be wider than his calling range. Your hand has showdown value so it's a good idea to get closer to the sd without growing a pot or risking to get raised off the hand, imo. The money that goes into the pot will probably be about the same amount wether you bet or call, unless villain has a monster and raises. But you are playing against the bigger range and you have little to protect yourself from here.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:09 PM

betting flop is okay as is checking. i definitely don't mind betting for value.

as played, looks okay.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
betting flop is okay as is checking. i definitely don't mind betting for value.

as played, looks okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, however I think betting > checking simply due the the fact that nobody folds to CBets anymore - particularly unknowns. I also find that the standard unknown almost NEVER properly interprets a pot control line and will bluff ATC on the river oop.

I bet the flop here about 90% of the time.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:30 PM

This hand looks played perfect, don't worry about it.

I tend to bet flop here more than check behind vs better player, since everyone expects you to cbet anyway. Vs random droolers/bad unknowns i'll take this line everytime.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is betting flop is almost exactly the same as checking flop with intent of betting the turn, but with the added deception of looking really weak.
you arent ever getting 3 streets of value when youre ahead anyway, so no matter what youre checking at least one street.

the best strategy is obv not always checking or always betting when the flop has an overcard to hero's pair
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You can be taken to valuetown just as much when villain check/calls on the flop and turn. And you might even face a c/r or a donk bet on a street that you wanted to check behind (esp. the river). And on a dry board like this, villain's betting range will usually be wider than his calling range. Your hand has showdown value so it's a good idea to get closer to the sd without growing a pot or risking to get raised off the hand, imo. The money that goes into the pot will probably be about the same amount wether you bet or call, unless villain has a monster and raises. But you are playing against the bigger range and you have little to protect yourself from here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good Point, Good Post, ty