Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Weight Training for Running/Soccer

So I'm running a marathon, and I want to be an amazing frissbee and soccer player. What sort of weight training should I do in the gym? Right now I do deadlift (is that lower back or legs?), front squats and normal squats with weights, and without weights. For calves pylos seems like a better thing to do then calf raises.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Weight Training for Running/Soccer

there is no reason for a marathoner to do plyometrics.

training to be a marathoner and a soccer/frisbee player really aren't very complementary. maybe change your goal to running a relatively fast 5k or something, as i think that would be a better way to go about things.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:44 PM

my maingoal is frisbee soccer, runningfast,jumping high. but i think i can do the marathon also without hurting that training
Old 03-16-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my maingoal is frisbee soccer, runningfast,jumping high. but i think i can do the marathon also without hurting that training

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't. DANNY STOP TRYING TO RUN A MARATHON.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:21 PM

You can't train for a marathon without hurting that training. Trust me, I've done both. Running long distances beats up your body and depletes energy stores, which gives you less explosiveness and performance when you hit the weights and forces you to take more time to recover. I think it really affects it most in the recovery, not to mention the fact that marathons require slow-twitch muscles and you're looking to improve the fast-twitch stuff.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:25 PM

Bruise,

Running a marathon typically takes 12 weeks of building a base. Once your base is built it is 16 weeks of marathon training and during your mileage your weight training will be necessary and certainly enough to keep you strong but not nearly enough to physically change your body. A runners weight workout is done only for the resistance training.

You need to also know that soccer and I am assuming frisbee (I don't know that sport) will suffer form marathon training b/c of the type of training you would then be doing. When you go on long runs for months and months you will have trained your slow-twitch muscles and actually have become slower, until you train you fast-twitch muscles again with sprints etc. You can curb this somewhat this speed training during your base building with 400 meter repeats once a week but once you get into your marathon training its going to be all about logging the miles and not necessarily all about how fast and because of this your quickness and speed on the soccer field will suffer.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:25 PM

skunkworks,

blah.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:47 AM

I guess I forgot this thread existed.

In HS and College soccer, an example of our preseason conditioning would be as follows:

Morning Practice (typically 5:30 AM):
-Stretching, walking around while we wait for everyone to show up
-2 mile run followed by rest
-10 Turkey runs (ball in your hands behind your back as you run sprints)
-10 50-yard Ladder runs
-20 20 yard wind sprints
-Plyometrics and overload training (box jumps, sprints with crazy medicine ball work)
-Sit-up / Push-up dynamos (typically 4x25 in blocks)
-1 mile jog

You never touch a ball with your feet in the morning.

Go home, die inside, come back...

Evening Practice (typically 6 PM):
-1 mile run
-Skills training:
--Strikers: Around the world goal shots, target shooting, form practice on ball reception, foot skills
--Midfielders: Around the world goal shots, pass training, foot skills, long distance passing/shooting, marking up, overlapping runs, a lot of work on changing tempo/speed of the game
--Defensemen: Line drills (using the line as another defender), controlling the middle third of the field, marking up, overlapping runs, 2v1 situations
--Keepers: Take 100-150 shots from varying distances from strikers/midfielders, work on side shuffle, positioning drills, core exercises
-Team scrimmages or team drills (give and go work, passing, changing speeds, counterattacking)
-Cone drills with a ball
-Corner kick work
-Wall ball game

Repeat for 5 days per week for 6 weeks.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:55 AM

Microbob...Distance running is good for soccer, but shouldnt be over emphasized. Throughout HS and College I would probably have 1 day where i ran between 3-5 miles but that was about it. Distance running does help the overall system so its not harmful by any means. (outside mids need to be decent in this category)

The big thing is that in soccer you wont run more than 100 yards and generally most players might run 50 yards at at time. When you do make these runs though they are generally all out sprints or involving a lot of cutting. Distance running wont improve the necessary muscles to help with these.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:12 PM

I've thought about this some more regarding my husband/wife duo on the coed team who are trying for the half-marathon.

The girl is my center-mid actually (yes, she's that good) and it seems to me she's not quite as sharp and quick as I think she had been before.
Still an awesome player, but her speed just seems to be slightly less.

Thought it was maybe from her being a bit tired from working all day or is playing on too many teams.
But now I wonder if that slow-twitch/fast-twitch stuff from her distance running (up to 7-8 mile runs she tells me) is perhaps making a difference too.