FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which RB to start?
Julius Jones @ Was 0 0%
Fred Taylor vs. Ten 2 100.00%
Wali Lundy @ NYG 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: This forum needs a makeover

I would agree with you except for the fact that none of those threads get any interaction going. It would be like a strategy section with nobody posting any strategy as if the person posting was sitting directly across from them at the poker table.

Some of these threads are 20 posts long for the month with 18 of them being by the OP of the thread.

Why don't we just have a list of blogs and everyone can just broadcast their stats over that. People can then follow along and subscribe to the blog with a capper that peaks their interest. This <<discussion forum>> is turning into a billboard of 2+2 members and their literal posting of picks as if it was a lamppost on the side of the street.

I'm not attacking you because you are the only person who was considerate enough to post some thinking on the other side of the coin. I am just interested in getting a discussion about it and ultimately, do what's best for everyone involved.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:21 AM

I don't like the idea. If you don't like the content, contribute more. Half of the people on here that are knowledgable add absolutely nothing to the board. It's hard enough to weed through the square posts, if you put them all in the same thread it would be unbearable. There is maybe 15 people whose threads I will even bother reading.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:31 AM

Something that is rather unique to this forum is that it's the winning players who spend all their time fighting with each other, while the noobs just plough on regardless.

Lori
Old 04-23-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Something that is rather unique to this forum is that it's the winning players who spend all their time fighting with each other, while the noobs just plough on regardless.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, true. They do a lot of plowing too.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've made this proposal twice in the past and nobody has said a word about it. I think now is as good as time as ever to pump some new life around here.

Nobody seems to get along, this "x month chatter thread" sucks no matter how much Performify or others bring it up. This forum is all about individuals.

Crockpot's threads/picks have illustrated why this change is necessary. His threads are the breeding ground of any discussion and interaction between people. People don't want to read about some donkey's parlay (which has been complained about for months). Additionally nobody cares about a new poster's picks and only care about themselves. It's more evident here than in the poker boards. It's unfortunate but take a look through the posts here.

The plus side to Crockpot's threads are that it's the only time people are actually interacting with each other.

I'm going to say this one last time, before I basically retire from caring about anything that goes on here, nor contributing. This place needs help and everyone knows it.

Please, please, OH PLEASE MAKE ONE THREAD PER DAY PER SPORT. Every other forum has this structure. Why is this the place for individuals? No wonder nobody ever wants to help anybody.

Official MLB 4/21 thread,, everyone can put their picks, talk about the games, and sweat the games there. Post your fucktarded parlay there. Post your BBV crap in the thread.

Come next week have 3 threads each day. The 4/29 MLB thread, the 4/29 NBA thread and the 4/29 NHL thread. Whatever is going on that specific day have one thread for it.

Look at the Televised Poker forum. Look at the Sporting Events forum. One thread for the MNF game. Not 6 people with posts saying "my analysis on the game". There is one thread for each TV show as it goes live. "2/18 USPC ESPN airing thread" People talk about the hands, who looks drunk, or whatever else.

Do people really like reading 6 different threads about the same thing?

Which threads here are the most interactive here? UFC threads!!! Why??? Cause there is ONE per event. Performify would usually make it. His picks go there, so do everyone elses. Why is that just for UFC?

What are the drawbacks? People can just post their records and + units to date in the daily threads. People can really look back and research you if they care. If people really feel that this is important make an offical monthly thread people can bump with their results in. Post what line the game is when you bet it. Wouldn't it be nice to follow the betting trends? See at 10AM what people were taking, then at 6PM what has changed?

This place needs a community feel for it to really grow. Crockpot's threads are the only thing that is creating any semblence of that. Assume this place quintupled in traffic overnight. Are you going to want to read 35 poster's picks on the same thing in 35 different threads?

I was going to make a poll simply asking

A- keep it how it is with individual threads everywhere
or
B- try this new way out to increase interaction

If I made the poll, it goes againist the entire point of this post. Community. Write what you think about it instead of clicking a button. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what we DON'T need. One MLB thread with 500 posts in it, 475 of which are nitpicks and irrelevant arguments. Yeah, like I'm gonna scroll through a thread that long to find the few knowledgeable posters here. Actually, having all these separate threads makes it alot easier to pick and choose the ones I want to read without having to scroll 500 dribble messages every time.

If the goal is to organize, then create a thread for each single game(just like a single poker hand) rather than a single jumbled thread for 16 mlb games. If I don't care about that particular single game, then I can easily skip that thread. Sure beats the hell out of trying to scroll those 500 troll posts in a sole cluster 16 game MLB thread.

And maybe if each game had it's own thread, we might actually get some discussion about that game. Now all we seem to get is My picks are X, Y and Z, with absolutely no reasoning or material basis. Yeah, great those are your picks, but that helps me absolutely none. At least give the readers some reasons and facts, so that they can incorporate that info in their own handicapping. Even if someone wants to dispute set out reasoning, that is better than just a meaningless list of picks.

Create single game threads.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:40 PM

All,

What makes some of you think that having individual game threads would foster actual discussion? Most people have systems that they do not want to share where they pump numbers in and picks come out. There is really very little to discuss.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

What makes some of you think that having individual game threads would foster actual discussion? Most people have systems that they do not want to share where they pump numbers in and picks come out. There is really very little to discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I post a writeup of all my games and on each one of them I have gotte good feedback. Even though some posters don't agree, they still discuss what is wrong with my analysis and that is good information. I understand that some may have a secret system, but maybe alot of the people here are just picking out of a hat. How do we know if picks are based on anything other than pure guess if reasons and facts aren't posted?

How is anyone supposed to respond to 'my picks today is the yankees'? That just doesn't have a chance of producing much meaningful discussion. At least when someone posts some information in support of a pick others can agree or disagree and state why. At least that produces something constructive.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:07 PM

If every thread was like yours, then I wouldn't think a change is needed. These tout-like threads with zero discussion are more clutter than a single post in a daily thread would be imo. The solid posters/cappers will stand out even in a 100 post thread. I've seen it done before.

I guess it's just a matter of prefernce. Like I said previously, this place has picked up traffic compared to a year ago. In the future, do you really want to see 30+ threads a day with the same content from different people?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:08 PM

tippy,

Some people feel a need to "give back" much like how people post arbs. They have no desire to discuss the games with someone whose knowledge is less than theirs or address 30 posts filled with gibberish.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If every thread was like yours, then I wouldn't think a change is needed. These tout-like threads with zero discussion are more clutter than a single post in a daily thread would be imo. The solid posters/cappers will stand out even in a 100 post thread. I've seen it done before.

I guess it's just a matter of prefernce. Like I said previously, this place has picked up traffic compared to a year ago. In the future, do you really want to see 30+ threads a day with the same content from different people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya man. I get sick of the "look at my 27 team parlay" posts and the nitpicks trolls too. I'm just thinking out loud I guess with what I prefer. It might not be the best for others.

I just think one thread for 16 games is too much. I'm an NL only guy and only cap NL games. It is much easier for me to pick the posts on games I'm interested in. Just a preference thing I guess.

I'll do it however the majority wants to go if it will make this place more organized and useful.