Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 02:48 AM

Default Re: who\'s a better guitarist?

Experience Hendrix

Hendrix is unreal, he used to play extremely difficult, intricate solos where he'd bring the guitar behind his head for a bit, back down normally, then lift the guitar to his face and play with his teeth. He does this very fluidly without missing a note.

What's unbelievable about this is the level of guitar he's playing can only be matched by a handful of other musicians: and he's playing with his freakin teeth.

I don't claim to know a whole lot about music, but Hendrix live (I believe there were clips on some documetary I watched) was the most impressive performance I've ever seen.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:02 AM

srv.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Experience Hendrix

Hendrix is unreal, he used to play extremely difficult, intricate solos where he'd bring the guitar behind his head for a bit, back down normally, then lift the guitar to his face and play with his teeth. He does this very fluidly without missing a note.

What's unbelievable about this is the level of guitar he's playing can only be matched by a handful of other musicians: and he's playing with his freakin teeth.

I don't claim to know a whole lot about music, but Hendrix live (I believe there were clips on some documetary I watched) was the most impressive performance I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really, I love Hendrix very much, but playing with your teeth and whatnot is just a gimmick to me. Certainly it is impressive, but it's not what makes him good. There are a ton of guitarists that are flashy but couldn't write a good song if their life depended on it. Hendrix also wrote great songs, that's why he deserves to be called the (one of the) greatest guitarist ever.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:57 AM

Holy crap, the 4 best guitarists (vaughn, vanhalen, satriani, vai) aren't even on this list. The OP deserves a *.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
slash doing Godfather theme

[/ QUOTE ]
That was cool. Who was he playing with?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap, the 4 best guitarists (vaughn, vanhalen, satriani, vai) aren't even on this list. The OP deserves a *.

[/ QUOTE ]
See callmeIshmael's post above. At least he got the #1 guitarist on there.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
slash doing Godfather theme

[/ QUOTE ]
That was cool. Who was he playing with?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, Jimmy Page at age 14 (1957) doign some skiffle song or something. Pretty funny. He's the dark-haired kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXeC...h=jimmy%20page

EDIT: HIJACK!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, tell me that's not your top four. Satriani and Vai masturbate in 5/8 time. Van Halen is great but never did that much for me, I can see why people like him though. SRV is legit.

You can't really put Satriani or Vai ahead of Hendrix, Clapton, et al. In fifty years nobody will care what they did. It's like putting Schoenberg ahead of Mozart.

NT
Old 05-31-2006, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, tell me that's not your top four. Satriani and Vai masturbate in 5/8 time. Van Halen is great but never did that much for me, I can see why people like him though. SRV is legit.

You can't really put Satriani or Vai ahead of Hendrix, Clapton, et al. In fifty years nobody will care what they did. It's like putting Schoenberg ahead of Mozart.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? You put Mozart ahead of Schoenberg. Wow. I guess thats just how you was raised.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Experience Hendrix

[/ QUOTE ]
Really, I love Hendrix very much, but playing with your teeth and whatnot is just a gimmick to me. Certainly it is impressive, but it's not what makes him good. There are a ton of guitarists that are flashy but couldn't write a good song if their life depended on it. Hendrix also wrote great songs, that's why he deserves to be called the (one of the) greatest guitarist ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was playing with a pick held in his teeth.

Obviously he was also a helluva showman as this myth persists to the present day.

Agree with zephed's opinion on this. Jimi also responsible for the greatest cover of all time: All Along the Watchtower.