Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Are the idle bystanders the main beneficiaries of SNG bubble mistakes?

HOH3 also has an example about bubble play that shows that the other players in the hand gain at times like this.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Are the idle bystanders the main beneficiaries of SNG bubble mista

[ QUOTE ]
I am not that sure, but I think there is a leak in your thinking:
If in your example it is correct for A to push with 99 IF ATo is in the calling-range of B, then of course you push.

If the calling range of player B make your push -$, you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, you just misinterpretted his post.

He's saying that a situation can be +EV for you, but if your opponent makes a mistake then it actually costs you money. Here's a very basic example to illustrate it:

4 players, blinds 300/600, even stacks of 5k. You have 99 in the SB, and know your opponent will only call you with 66+,AT+. Pushing is +2.1%.

HOWEVER

when your opponent actually calls you with AT, your EV in the tournament is 21.3%. But you're a favorite in the hand, so it's not like your money goes to him. In fact, his EV is only 17% at the time the money goes in the pot. So now we have 11.7% that gets distributed among the rest of the table.

That's what OP is talking about here...if the BB knew what you held and still called, he'd be making a huge mistake, but you don't gain. The other players do. This is the basis of SuitedSixes's "lazy aggro" bubble strategy.

Okay now I know somebody's going to jump in here and say "omg that's being results-oriented!" And you're right, but that's also what OP is discussing. The reason my above scenario is a +EV push is because your opponent doesn't have a callable hand very often. If somehow you knew your opponent had AT and would call though, you'd be better served folding (24% vs 21%).

People here often recommend that you pass on a marginally +EV push because there will be a better one later. There's correct thinking there, but the fact is that you rarely are faced with a slightly +EV situation that will be soon followed by a highly +EV situation. So that just doesn't come up a lot. The REAL reason to pass on slightly +EV situations is that your opponents will likely make a horrible play at some point in the future, dumping their EV to the other players sitting out.