Old 05-03-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Contest: name this social movement

[ QUOTE ]
Christocrats

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 05-03-2007, 03:45 PM

Again, they already have a name--"Dominionists." And yes, they're scary as hell. Not saying they're an imminent threat to freedom, but definitely worth keeping an eye on. Some of you who are poo-pooing without checking the links should read up a bit. Interesting, if nothing else.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The cries of "christiofascism" simply sound like hysteria and hyperbole, and only serve to hurt the cause of those trying to keep religion from gaining power in government.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll start to worry as soon as I see Christian suicide bombers targeting women and children. Until then, not so much.

We have real enemies that want me dead. No need to invent ephemeral and fraudulent ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the only type of harm that matters is the explosive type, right? Do you find yourself saying things like "Safety first!" and "As long as it saves even one life" a lot?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The cries of "christiofascism" simply sound like hysteria and hyperbole, and only serve to hurt the cause of those trying to keep religion from gaining power in government.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll start to worry as soon as I see Christian suicide bombers targeting women and children. Until then, not so much.

We have real enemies that want me dead. No need to invent ephemeral and fraudulent ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the only type of harm that matters is the explosive type, right? Do you find yourself saying things like "Safety first!" and "As long as it saves even one life" a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assessing most every risk in my life analytically. Death via Islam >>> death via Christianity. That's 3 orders of magnitude different. If you assess it differently you are bowing to your prejudice.

It's quite fashionable to denigrate Christianity. That doesn't make it sensible.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, they already have a name--"Dominionists." And yes, they're scary as hell. Not saying they're an imminent threat to freedom, but definitely worth keeping an eye on. Some of you who are poo-pooing without checking the links should read up a bit. Interesting, if nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

as a Christian and recovering fundamentalist, they don't scare me quite as bad as they do you guys, but they are scary.

There are several parallels to Fascism that are coming into play - one in particular - a parallel to the Nazi Brownshirts, is starting to concern me.

- The private army - There is now a private army available at GWB's disposal that has been started by a reclusive Right Wing Dominionist - that is called Blackwater - you know them as mercs in Iraq, but they have been deployed on the streets of America too - and in the absence of any usable National Guard Units, and with new overriding authority, this private army can be deployed in the US at any time.

And if they do the job here they've been doing in Iraq, expect a [censored] storm if they they come to your neighborhood.

Anyone who doubts the desire of dominionists to control your life and your Government isn't paying attention - go check out the internet forums and see where your right to play poker went -

but this is nothing new - Christians were all over the Civil War and WWII - their capacity to wage war and kill civilians is just as great as any other religion, but seeing them rewrite history in their churches to say they should be taking the government back is mildly disturbing, to say the least. And they are positively salviating at the prospects of a larger conflict in the Middle East - (fulfills prophecy - but then Judas fulfilled prophecy too - doesn't make me want to be Judas)

here's a recent rally

rb
Old 05-03-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A brand new book describes an antisemitic Christian cult that has taken over the Air Force Academy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Their crazy beliefs reach even the outback of Arkansas, where many people believe that US support for Israel is the only thing holding back God's wrath on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which is it?

I have a hard time taking seriously the cries of "christian fundamentalist fascism" and the like that attempt to paint western Christians with the same brush as the "Islamofascists". Within the past couple of days Iran's president was denounced for "indecency" by religious leaders for kissing the gloved hand of his elderly former school marm and giving her a hug. The country's recent recent dresscode crackdown continues. What do the christians want over here? Silly monuments on courthouse lawns.

And as always, I will note that if power were not concentrated into the hands of an elite minority, you wouldn't have to worry about which minority held the reigns.

Disclaimer: I am not a christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

My delusion is nicer than your delusion?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A brand new book describes an antisemitic Christian cult that has taken over the Air Force Academy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Their crazy beliefs reach even the outback of Arkansas, where many people believe that US support for Israel is the only thing holding back God's wrath on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which is it?

I have a hard time taking seriously the cries of "christian fundamentalist fascism" and the like that attempt to paint western Christians with the same brush as the "Islamofascists". Within the past couple of days Iran's president was denounced for "indecency" by religious leaders for kissing the gloved hand of his elderly former school marm and giving her a hug. The country's recent recent dresscode crackdown continues. What do the christians want over here? Silly monuments on courthouse lawns.

And as always, I will note that if power were not concentrated into the hands of an elite minority, you wouldn't have to worry about which minority held the reigns.

Disclaimer: I am not a christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

My delusion is nicer than your delusion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

as a Christian and recovering fundamentalist, they don't scare me quite as bad as they do you guys, but they are scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post is the scariest one in this thread!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:54 PM

Only read the OP, but "Christian Dominionists" seems good.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post is the scariest one in this thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

same as it is in every other thread [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

rb