Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Trying to claim pot with one card.

If you are supposed to be showing first by the rules of the room and the guy is showing you one card, he's doing you a favor by showing out of turn. In such a case, if you want to keep your cards secret, just muck 'em and don't ask to see his other card. Demanding he show both cards to claim the pot when it's really YOU who should be showing both first is uncool.

If instead he is supposed to be showing first, just request he table both cards before you do a thing. No need for theatrics. Just a polite "it takes two cards to win" or "I'd like to see both cards, please".
Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a timed rake game and waiting for the player to show both cards before you can confirm is going to slow the game down. Its bad enough sometimes getting them to show one card never mind two.

Mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the other players' problem, not yours. You aren't the one holding up the game here.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even if the other player has already mucked his hand; the winner still has to fully show down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiousity. What if he doesn't. I mean lets suppose that another player and I go to the river, he fires off a bet on the river and when i call him, not wanting to show the bluff, he mucks his hand face down. Now I am the only one with a hand, what happens i toss my cards into the muck in a manner which makes them irretrievable? Who gets the pot?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's the other players' problem, not yours. You aren't the one holding up the game here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Demanding to see both cards before conceding a pot certainly is holding up the game.

At the lowest limits I deal, almost everybody shows cards, even losers after the winner is declared. At the highest limits, the winner sometimes just states the hand, even out of turn, and the loser mucks before seeing them.

Just sayin'.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity. What if he doesn't. I mean lets suppose that another player and I go to the river, he fires off a bet on the river and when i call him, not wanting to show the bluff, he mucks his hand face down. Now I am the only one with a hand, what happens i toss my cards into the muck in a manner which makes them irretrievable? Who gets the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]
You do. Some players will bet then muck when called on the river (there's nothing wrong with this, btw). If they do this it's your pot and you don't have to show.

Once the guy sitting next to me had 76 in LP. The flop was 54K, EP bet, he raised HU to the turn. EP check/called his turn bet. The river bricks, and checks though. Both players quickly muck. LP takes pot.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You do. Some players will bet then muck when called on the river (there's nothing wrong with this, btw). If they do this it's your pot and you don't have to show.

[/ QUOTE ]

The prior poster claimed that Canterbury had a rule " even if the other player has already mucked his hand; the winner still has to fully show down. " your post would seem to be inconsistent with that rule actually existing, unless there is a claim the rule would be enforced some other way (like throwing the player out of the game for mucking his hand).
Old 10-11-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't get away with this at Canterbury, even if the other player has already mucked his hand; the winner still has to fully show down.

[/ QUOTE ]
bump.

Where have all the real poker players gone?

Oh and by the way, where is the pot pushed?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Demanding to see both cards before conceding a pot certainly is holding up the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dummy up and deal. If I want to see both, I see both.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:59 AM

The initial spirit of showing both cards to win is to prevent collusion. In LA, if someone runs a failed bluff attempt and mucks the hand, the winner is the one who called the bet. I don't remember seeing this rule enforced. It does bother me when people enforce rules when there is no real point to it. If someone wants to show the nut card, fine, next hand please.

But I am also interested, who gets the pot and Canterbury Park? Does it go into a zip-lock bag? Contested in the next hand?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 AM

You're still required to show both at showdown to claim the pot anywhere I've played or worked.

There was an incident I heard about at Caesars where a player showed the fourth 7 for quads, power mucked the other card, and was not awarded the pot. He was understandably upset and if I recall the story correctly had to be removed.

One of the biggest reasons -maybe bigger than collusion concerns- that you are required to show both cards is that the other player has paid to see your hand. He lost, so you get the pot, but he's more than entitled to see the full hand that beat him. I don't think this rule does any harm.