Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: going out to eat at nice restaurants alone

Friend of mine has a table booked every night at Neil Perry's RockPool in Melbourne. He eats alone most nights there, actually seems to enjoy the company of the waiters / waitress more than sitting at home on aim while he eats etc.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend hiring a professional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do this, take pictures, write the trip report. The awkwardness alone would makeup for any feelings of guilt you may have.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 AM

i prefer to eat with others. its a very good way to meet others too.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:14 AM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

do not do this ever. unless you are gay or something. seriously, why would u want to sit by urself in a restaurant when other normal people are staring at u going "wtf is that guy sitting there alone?"
Old 07-04-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do not do this ever. unless you are gay or something. seriously, why would u want to sit by urself in a restaurant when other normal people are staring at u going "wtf is that guy sitting there alone?"

[/ QUOTE ] Are you seriously that self-concious?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Are you seriously that self-concious?

[/ QUOTE ]
pretty sure that was a sarcastic post... or maybe someone with an anxiety/insecurity disorder.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:42 AM

ils,

At French Laundry, VIPs (celebs, friends of the restaurant, etc.) get many additional special courses, a visit from the chef, and various other special touches. Thomas Keller believes that people who make the effort to come by themselves and spend $200+ to experience his cooking deserve that level of VIP treatment.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:45 AM

M,

"why would u want to sit by urself in a restaurant when other normal people are staring at u going "wtf is that guy sitting there alone?" "

I've definitely felt like this when doing stuff alone. But if you really don't care (or can get past it), it will be apparent, and then can flip the other way. What I mean by this is that waitresses and other staff will spend more time chatting with you and soon people will instead be asking "wow, who the f is that guy that everyone is so into? He must be really cool!" and you often end up meeting other people at the bar/restaurant. Obviously, this is more likely at a restaurant/lounge type place than a more formal strictly restaurant place.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 AM

Daryn,

Sorry I didnt stop by when Brandi was berating your fishiness. I'm in Vegas for another few nights, PM for dinner plans or I'll say hi in the poker room.

as for the OP, I've sat at the bar in restaurants a number of times. the bartenders usually give you great service. one time at Mortons in Cincinnati the bartender went out of his way to find me a magazine to read, then gave me a free drink after dinner. similar to what the Diablo said, I think the servers/owners are particularly glad to serve people who went out of their way, alone, to go there.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:13 AM

make a post here asking if anyone is up for going out.

I went out for dinner a few times this past month w/ people I had never met before IRL, and had only played/talked with online a few times.

its cool to meet different players outside your circle of poker friends. I think too many players just stick to hanging out w/ their house/group when they r in vegas
Closed Thread