Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: September [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im sitting im my investment portfolio management class and the prof. just got mad when I told him its irrational that volatility equates with risk. "..you cant beat the market" he answered me by saying.

Then he asked the class "if you had to describe a stock to a friend, what would you say?" Someone replies that you can look at the future growth prospects, and prof replies that we shouldnt look at that because its already priced into the market. Only thing to consider is risk and volatility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask him to explain warren buffets "Superinvestors of Graham-Doddsville" lecture. Then ask him how Buffett has crushed the market for over fifty years believing that volatility isn't risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pulled out that speech on my laptop but then deicded I actualy want an A in this class so I just left when the lecture was done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any discussion of Buffett and the stock market is mostly irrelevant, since he bought a lot of non-public ompanies.

Ahnuld, sounds like your teacher is a random walk fanboy. I feel sorry for you.

Apparently the guy has never heard of Peter Lynch.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:56 AM

So Im fairly new to investing and got some recommendations for some books to help get me started. Are these any good?

Rich Dad's Guide to Investing
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
The Automatic Millionaire by David Bach
Old 09-10-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im sitting im my investment portfolio management class and the prof. just got mad when I told him its irrational that volatility equates with risk. "..you cant beat the market" he answered me by saying.

Then he asked the class "if you had to describe a stock to a friend, what would you say?" Someone replies that you can look at the future growth prospects, and prof replies that we shouldnt look at that because its already priced into the market. Only thing to consider is risk and volatility.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm so on tilt reading that.

Anyway, ask him if poker can be beat or does the house eventually wins? [hmmm, now that I think about it, theoretically, the house eventually wins but that's unlikely to happen since with two players left in the world, one will beat the other in a cooler and gg. haha].
Old 09-10-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So Im fairly new to investing and got some recommendations for some books to help get me started. Are these any good?

[/ QUOTE ]
What are your goals [i.e. rate of return that you want or hope for]?

Ok, if I were start today all over again, I wish someone would've told me to begin with "Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Money and Investing" and Peter Lynch's "One up on Wall Street." Then I would read "The Essays of Warren Buffet."

Unfortunately, after reading "The Essays of Warren Buffet," most investing articles look very amateurish/confusing/generic/waste-of-time.

Rant: after reading a few investment books, the image of Kiyosaki and his Rich Dad Series tilt me crazy.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM

Anybody know anything about RIO?

I buy for the long term (ROTH IRA) and have heard good things about this stock from family.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What are your goals [i.e. rate of return that you want or hope for]?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really sure yet. Im 19 and just started making pretty good money at MSNL (10-25k/month).
Old 09-10-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody know anything about RIO?

I buy for the long term (ROTH IRA) and have heard good things about this stock from family.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really have any recent information but it was talked about here last year and the year before.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post5700831
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post4087699

The most recent news is that another split is coming. I'm in it for the long haul and have no intentions to sell.

You can also find some decent information on InvestorVillage.com's RIO board. Look for posts by a man called andersonole.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 AM

It's 9/11 so I'm posting a question.

In doing some research on the Federal Reserve based on some informative posts I've read here, I noticed how the trail quickly led into conspiracy theories / New World Order / Council on Foreign Relations / etc. ad nauseum.

Do any of the posters knowledgeable about the history of the Fed also support the NWO theories? Seems like the two go hand in hand, at least on the interweb. Maybe it's just a byproduct of the historical domination of our government posts by Wall Street bankers and lawyers, who also appear in the CFR rolls.

P.S. Fred Thompson: CFR and Trilateral Commission!

......... (folding tinfoil hat now) .........
Old 09-11-2007, 01:11 PM

Investment noob trying to get educated. I've been reading fundadvice.com to start getting some info. How good/bad would it be to use one of their portfolio ideas?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:54 PM

how does youtube make $
Closed Thread