Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Advice on marrying a foreigner for citizenship

[ QUOTE ]
Heres the situation. I have a female friend in my graduate program who is from Taiwan.

A couple of months ago I heard her joke that maybe match.com was her best bet.

I've debated offering to get a legal marriage for her to stay in the States.

While she is attractive, I don't have any romantic connection to her.

(Though if a few "honeymoon" nights were offered in the package I wouldn't object)

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple questions:

1. What does your current girlfriend think about this?
2. Does she know you exist?

Seriously stop trying to game ways to [censored] the hottie in your class, especially if they are felonious. She's not your friend, she didn't even tell you the problem, you listened in to hear it.

J
Old 04-26-2007, 01:20 AM

"Hey, wanna get fake married so they don't ship you back to Taiwan?"

This is absurd. Marriage is a big enough risk if you are genuinely in love with the person. Imagine the risk of doing it solely as a favor.

If you agree to marry someone with the primary intention of deceiving the United States government, you are a terrible person and I hate you.

Nevertheless, if you do make this gigantic mistake and don't end up hitting it, you suck at life.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 AM

marriage is a sacred instituiton that you should not defile without good reason. If she gave you a solid payoff in dollars and sex, that'd be good enough reason.

pics please.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:12 AM

DD,

This is an extremely bad idea. You will be entering a world of pain for no better reason than doing a supposedly good deed. It won't finish if you actually get married. They will still continue to check you out. A friend of mine did this in Australia years ago. They got married after all the hurdles and the crap just kept coming. Obviously they had to live together. Unfortunately she turned out to be a nut. Fun times.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a female friend in my graduate program who is from Taiwan. She is in a few of my work groups and I've learned she is having trouble getting hired in the U.S. because of Visa issues.

Its not like she would be returning to a desperate situaion by any means, but I know she strongly wants to remain in the States.

Financially and career wise, she is much more advanced than me.

While she is attractive, I don't have any romantic connection to her. The cultural differences just seem too big.

Just trying to help a nice person out in something that doesn't seem to affect me a great deal.( Not that I've taken it lightly)

[/ QUOTE ]

How much of a friend are you? Known her for a long time?

I don't get why you would be doing this since you have no romantic interest in her and you won't really gain anything financially from this (or will you?). In addition, she isn't in danger if she goes home. It seems odd to do this for someone who is just "in a few of [your] work groups."
Old 04-26-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Heres the situation. I have a female friend in my graduate program who is from Taiwan.

(Though if a few "honeymoon" nights were offered in the package I wouldn't object)

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple questions:

1. What does your current girlfriend think about this?
2. Does she know you exist?

Seriously stop trying to game ways to [censored] the hottie in your class, especially if they are felonious. She's not your friend, she didn't even tell you the problem, you listened in to hear it.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome selective editing. You even changed one of the quotes.

1.) I don't have a current girlfriend, as I indicated in the OP I wouldn't be considering it if I did.

2.) She has mentioned her issues in getting jobs due the vista problem to me. In a business program, work/interviews come up in casual conversation quite a bit. I mentioned the overhearing the match.com comment to illustrate that she hasn't been trying to pressure/scam me or someone in to this. Again, would come off as shady to me and I wouldn't be considering offering.

3.) Saying no "romantic connection to her" was indicating that I don't have feeling for her and isn't at issue. Its sort of a more articulate way of stating when you say "Yo idz st8ght try to beatz the poon but I ain't stain' til mornin". I debated including the "honeymoon" comment, but included to address the "is she hot/can't judge without pics/can't ever have a female friend" comments that generally are a part of every OOT thread.

4.) If it was a scam just to get laid, a.) theres hotter girls in my class, even of the foreign ones b.) there would be about 8,000 better opportunites in a college town.

5.) Die in a Fire
Old 04-26-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple questions:

1. If gay marriage became legal in the United States, would you do this for me?
2. What about if I offered you my well practiced sweet man on man love as a reward?

J

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I can have fun with editing peoples stuff too.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:53 AM

I read an article in the beginning of March in a Chinese paper about how the Chinese will have a tougher time getting a citizenship in the States depending on her time of entry. It's kind of irrelevant to the topic but recently they have been really really strict on letting people into the country on the first basis. (I think there are three different levels? Immediate relative, distant relative, and something else). So this would not be as easy as you'd think. Definitely think it through. I am Taiwanese and had a lady that lived in my parent's house for a while that had the same problem: USC MBA, company said they would sponsor her but didn't, took a job with the government, end up going out with some guy that had citizenship (did not do it intentionally but definitely adds to the point), still in the US as of now
Old 04-26-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a female friend in my graduate program who is from Taiwan. She is in a few of my work groups and I've learned she is having trouble getting hired in the U.S. because of Visa issues.

Its not like she would be returning to a desperate situaion by any means, but I know she strongly wants to remain in the States.

Financially and career wise, she is much more advanced than me.

While she is attractive, I don't have any romantic connection to her. The cultural differences just seem too big.

Just trying to help a nice person out in something that doesn't seem to affect me a great deal.( Not that I've taken it lightly)

[/ QUOTE ]

How much of a friend are you? Known her for a long time?

I don't get why you would be doing this since you have no romantic interest in her and you won't really gain anything financially from this (or will you?). In addition, she isn't in danger if she goes home. It seems odd to do this for someone who is just "in a few of [your] work groups."

[/ QUOTE ]

I've known her for about a year and a half, but have only gotten to be at all close in the last 8 months or so. I mention the work group thing because the nature of the program results in us spending alot of time together from this. Aside from going to ocasionally having dinner together, happy hours and some special occasions, shes not in my regular group of people I hang out with the most. She wouln't be in one of the first people I'd call if I had a free weekend night. Nice girl though and defintely adds variety.

Obviously from this thread I've severely underestimated how thoroughly they investigate these things. I guess I was thrown by the whole mail order bride thing and hearing of people being offered money to do it, figuring it would be less complicated. I'm not really ready to offer this much of a commitment on my part.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:49 AM

I work for the Australian Government, and have seen a number of cases like this.

There are a lot of unhappy people when it doesn't work.

The Department of Immigration is suprisingly effective at stopping people cheating the system. For example, the Australian Government has been known to seek wedding photos, evidence from friends/families, photos of you being a couple, evidence of joint financial arrangements, and evidence of other normal married relationships, amongst other stuff.