Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Card protectors

For a long time I used a chip from my stack. Eventually I decided it was too small and too light. I bought a protector off the internet that has a picture of a pair of Aces on it, and it works for me.

I compare it to being a pitcher in baseball. It's all about repetition. There are about 20 steps to delivering each pitch and if you have to THINK about each step on each pitch it becomes mentally draining. But when you do it enough it becomes a habit. You get into a rhythm.

It's the same for my card protector. When I want to play a hand I have a routine I always go through. I put the protector on the hand, I look at my chip stack, etc. It forces me to really think about the bet in front of me and what I want to do next. In short, it slows me down and keeps me from doing something on impulse.

It got to the point in one session that one time I put the protector on my hand another player said "uh oh" because he knew I was going to play. So maybe it affects my table image, too.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:46 PM

One or two $1 chips is the way to go. You've protected your hand and you already have the dealer's tip ready to go.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:57 PM

I use $100HK Macau chip, it's kinda cool. Not the most effective thing in the world though.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:08 PM

used to use em - use chip from stack now - best one imo seen so far used by others, a Monte Carlo (Monaco)chip - insta convo starter - buy em on ebay, but coolest to go there & get some <<<grin>>>
Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when I see card protectors I immediately see a player who at least thinks they know what they are doing; which to me is a great tip off.

It is like wearing a t-shirt that says, "i play B&M poker regularly", or "I play X hours of online poker a week".

Not really sure why you would want to advertise or celebrate that.

Just my opinion tho'.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. That's the reason I just keep my fingers on the edges of cards. Maybe I'll change my mind when my pair of aces gets accidentally mucked, but so far I've never lost a hand to a dealer's mistake.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:46 PM

A chip, a 1949S half dollar, or one of these:

or, just my hand.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:54 PM

I worked in a military hospitals for a few years. One of the regulars came into my office and handed me the ball portion of one of these

It was his and they just replaced it. He told me he was going to make a knob for his stick-shift out of it. At the time I thought if I ever have the same operation I would just use it as a card protector.

Stu
Old 02-04-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when I see card protectors I immediately see a player who at least thinks they know what they are doing; which to me is a great tip off.

It is like wearing a t-shirt that says, "i play B&M poker regularly", or "I play X hours of online poker a week".

[/ QUOTE ]

You got off at the wrong level...

AB

My card protector is a Marvin the Martian, like my avatar.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just my opinion tho'.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first time I ever played live poker, I had a card cover. I had never played online, never played live. I had no idea what I was doing at the table, but I had a card cover.

I used to have a fake 1 million dollar chip I got at the Gambler's General store in Vegas, but it wore out and I haven't found anything to replace it yet.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
used to use em - use chip from stack now - best one imo seen so far used by others, a Monte Carlo (Monaco)chip - insta convo starter - buy em on ebay, but coolest to go there & get some <<<grin>>>

[/ QUOTE ]

I use mine from time to time....I got it the hard way [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]