FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: breaking vegetarians

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sophomore year in college,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I did this when I was like 18 and found out my friend became a vegetarian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, yeah, something like "I don't know why we acted like such [censored] at the time" would have clarified how you feel about it now.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:45 PM

SOme of my friends have "INTERVENTIONS" every couple weeks. They are always about funny things, like one was a pasta intervention for a guy who hates pasta, another was a cheese intervention where they got a vegan to eat a huge wheel of cheese (she has since switched to being just vegetarian). Of course there was an intervention, intervention also. I think that one may have worked since I havent heard about any others.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel that it is my task to introduce them to the wonderful world of meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that your task? Seriously. Is it your task to introduce atheists to the light and grace of Jesus Christ? Is it your task to introduce gays to the pleasure of pussy? Why do you want to make people do things they don't want to do?

On the other hand, maybe you could try a strip club that serves $3.99 steak and eggs. I'm pretty sure that's what turned my brother into a meat eater.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But there's absolutely no reason to resent someone for not eating meat (unless they're preachy/posers, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. I have complete respect for vegans -- until they get on their high horse and tell me what an immoral, unethical human being I am. Which, unfortunately, seems to happen about every other time I talk to one.

[/ QUOTE ]

does it strike you as funny that it's the other way around this time?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I felt like a dick a few nights ago when I found out in horror that the French Onion Soup my vegan girlfriend and I ate had beef broth.

[/ QUOTE ]
does not compute
Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 PM

otnemen,

What are you talking about? I didn't say that because we didn't act like dicks.

"Oh you're a vegetarian? That's cool...how come?"

"I just never really liked the taste of meat."

"Wow! I can't imagine. I think meat is delicious. You're missing out man!"

People influence other people all the time and it isn't necessarily rude or immature or distasteful.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not be a total pain in my ass whenever we want to eat together. And yes, that is one of the big motivations

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a life long vegetarian that has been cohabitating with a meat eater for over 10 years. We seem to do OK.

Living in the Bay Area, is it really a pain in the ass to eat with a vegetarian? Maybe in Oklahoma or something, but there isn't an eatery within 10 miles of San Francisco or San Jose that doesn't have at least one vegetarian option, and that's really all you need.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:55 PM

Kurt I think this case is a little different. Its about letting her have more options. She is clearly willing to eat meat, as demonstrated by the times I got her to try fish, etc. (first time in her life) and like I said is mostly concerned with the treatment of the animals. So if I find some well-treated animals, she has no ethical issue with eating the meat. She's just afraid. I'd liken it more to breaking someone's fear of heights or something than converting them to a religion, but I'm not gonna just force her to the top of the empire state building. I want to try to do this... tastefully... and with her cooperation.

I think we've had enough "J you are an [censored]" and the like, lets just get the ball rolling on good suggestions. Red meat is gonna be last in the progression, no way I'm gonna get her to a steakhouse for a while. Just not happening.

edit: just one vegetarian options is not enough, man! She should have more options than that. I would never take her to a place like that, I'd feel like a selfish douche. It just bothers me that I constantly make concessions for her restrictive eating habits when they seem philosophically unjustified (her in particular, not all vegetarians).
Old 09-14-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does it strike you as funny that it's the other way around this time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. I see / hear disrespect for vegans all the time. Most people find it hard to respect something they can't understand.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I felt like a dick a few nights ago when I found out in horror that the French Onion Soup my vegan girlfriend and I ate had beef broth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yeah that's the standard recipe.