Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: 2007 PGA Tour / Fed-X Cup Thread

And what happened in 1996 that increased popularity?

I know all the problems are not just finchem's fault. But neither are all the successes his doing. And there are some things going on that I don't think he is handling well. I suppose time will tell and maybe it will work out. I just think that right now things don't look that great. The golf is still there though. Last week in spite of the big names not being there, in spite of the course, in spite of some shaky coverage, the golf was exciting. Will that be enough to keep things going? I hope so, but it seems people want more hype or something.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:49 PM

HDPM/More Wine,

I think Finchy is a lousy commish. Without Tig he is a major bust and a laughing stock for all the radical lousy changes he has made in the name of a few extra dollars.

Not just the Fed ex cup.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:16 PM

...here comes Tiger...
Old 01-27-2007, 04:56 PM

Those two par saves at 15 & 16 will win Tiger this tournament.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:11 PM

Andrew Buckle: -11
Brandt Snedeker: -11
Kevin Sutherland: -10
Tiger Woods: -9

Ummmm, ship it to TW.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:57 PM

WARNING: Long, boring post alert.

Brandt Snedeker: -11
Kevin Sutherland: -10
Tiger Woods: -9

Ummmm, ship it to TW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. And tuq is right about Kelli, tho she's hardly UNattractive by any non-2+2 standard.

As for the Cup, I don't know nor care to know the details of it, tho I s'pose I'll take a weary look later this season, or more likely have them drilled into me by the announcers.

With a Ryder or Pres Cup mixed in, couldn't the fellas have to play something like 7 outta 8-9 weeks? LOL, yeah Tiger & Phold are going to do that. Esp w/a 2 month old Cub in the crib. $10KK, wow. Phold would write you out a check for that right now, if he could stand on the 72nd tee at Winged Foot again.

I don't think any of the top guys care about it, no matter what they say. I predict Vijay will win it, as he's brutal fit, likes playing a lot of weeks in a row, and will be by far the best player to take it seriously. He wouldn't trade a major for it either, but he's not so far gone (mentally) from Borneo that $10KK don't catch his eye, esp. if it looks like easy pickin's & he'd just be on the range otherwise.

My 2nd pick is some comebacking vet, 30ish breakthougher, or 20ish young guy making the leap. Stricker/Wetterich/Donald types.

Or maybe a complete unknown, or a feel-good story like Mayfair, who doesn't break the top ten in any event in the Cup, but has all the numbers fall just right.

Whatever, gotta give it a chance; give 'em til '09 to tweak. They'll never make Tiger or Phold care about it, tho; they barely care about the Ryder Cup.

I think golf is in trouble (tho far from tennis trouble). How can the move to the GC be an admission of anything but? Imagine if Tiger & Phil were tied for the lead tomorrow & all the casual fans going crazy trying to find it on TV.

Sure, *WE'D* all call in sick to watch a Monday playoff at Oakmont btwn Furyk & Monty this June, but nobody else would. Finchem milked everyone sponsor dry by relentlessly hyping Tiger-Phold (what else COULD he have done?), and in the process he killed a lot of old friends, and also made guys like Jeff Maggert & Lumpy so rich they don't want to spend any extra time away from their families, let alone someone like Els, and why should they?

I'd make Greg Norman commish, actually (like he'd take the pay cut). There are too many tourneys for starters (there are WAY too many tennis tourneys). They need to come up with a sensible schedule built around the majors, Players, WGC's, and the few remaining 'traditionals' (Pebble, Hope, Memorial, Bay Hill, Nelson), leading up to a legitimately exciting playoff-chase-Tour Championship, so that at least 10-15 of the biggest names are at each event.

Have a Stabbleford & a Match Play, keep the Hope & Pebble as the only pro-ams (and make each player play at least one every year), have a couple five-dayers, a couple pitch-putts (which overlap the previous), and leave the Open as the only bloodbath.

But let's have 90% at a minimum be solid, 'regular' golf, with something done about equipment to keep/bring back some classic courses, with concessions made to marketing realities.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:35 AM

Bill Murphy,

Good post. Yeah I'd call in sick to watch a playoff. Hell, I DID call in sick for the PGA in 2005 when it went an extra day (and then played 36 holes later that same Monday [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).

Something that I found out today that's annoying and I don't know where else to put it is that they said that the 18th at Torrey Pines is going to be converted to a par-4 (along with #6, another par-5) for the Open. That's dumb. They just added a ton of yards to that hole - 50-70 IIRC - and yet they're not going to use them? Introducing the possibility of eagle into the equation on the final hole is way too interesting to pass up, but the USGA has a known hard-on for making things as trumped-up as possible, so they probably couldn't stand the number of birdies it would yield. It probably kills them that Pebble Beach can't be played lower than par 71 because there's really no way to make 6, 14, or 18 into par-4s.

Finally, the importing of Faldo and Baker-Finch to CBS should be a good thing. Between those two and Oosterhuis though the limeys are starting to take over. That said, I wouldn't mind Gary McCord taking a permanent vacation if they could bring back Ben Wright.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 AM

I think my favorite Tiger Sundays are the ones where he's a few strokes back of some no names when the red shirt comes out, looking forward to a good show tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't mind Gary McCord taking a permanent vacation if they could bring back Ben Wright.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-28-2007, 04:10 AM

Sorry but there's no room on television for such a huge sexist pig. My god, what a dirty sexist. Breasts could interfere with one's swing? They had no other choice but to take him off the air after a comment like that, it's just so sexist. Sexist scum.