Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 01:07 AM

Default Re: The Godfather

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
according to critical consensus, Part I is the 7th best film of all-time and Part II is #15

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like Part II a lot better than Part I..Am i in the minority?

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of very intelligent people like Part II more than part I. It's a minority, but a small one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I way prefer part II to part I.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:04 AM

I'd also highly recommend the book. I just read it for the first time recently having seen the movie for the first time 20 years ago and about a million times thereafter. While the movie was definitely very faithful to the book, there are alot of interesting facets that are left out of the movie. I particularly enjoyed the Johnny Fontaine/Frank Sinatra storyline which plays a much more prominent role in the book. You'll notice alot more of the little subtle things in the movie that are explained more in the book. Well, obviously, but still I think you'll enjoy it that much more.

I'll also add to the discussion for those who have read the book: the part of the book that I don't feel was accurately portrayed in the movie was the Kay character. Now that I've read it, I don't think Diane Keaton was the best person to play that role or at least I don't appreciate the way she interpreted it in comparison to the book.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:57 AM

When I saw it in the theater, I told everyone I had just seen the greatest movie ever made. There are so many memorable scenes, scenes that were groundbreaking at the time: the horsehead scene (followed by Brando's matter-of-face mannerism in the next shot); the wedding; the unbearable tension when Michael comes back from the bathroom with the gun as he hesitates before firing (and the shock of the gunshots through the head); Michael's bride getting the English names of the days of the week wrong; "leave the gun; take the cannoli"; Brando playing with his grandson before he collapses and dies.

Someone in this thread mentioned the wonderful cinematography. There's the great music too, and so many terrific performances.

I heard Coppola talking about showing the opening scene to the execs at the studio and after they watched it they asked him if it was going to be sustitled. Coppola had to tell them Brando was speaking English.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
according to critical consensus, Part I is the 7th best film of all-time and Part II is #15

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like Part II a lot better than Part I..Am i in the minority?

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of very intelligent people like Part II more than part I. It's a minority, but a small one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I way prefer part II to part I.

[/ QUOTE ]You must be way intelligent then
Old 11-29-2006, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I asctually like the linear TV version. What a philistine, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the "Saga"? Then I'm a philistine, too.

Scott
Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 AM

The problem with taking these polls from critics is that they're sample biased too. Firstly, most critics say Citizen Cane is good, so the others want to join in. Secondly, most critics are now in their 40s+, and so they're more likely to like the films of their youth than the films of today's youth.

Whilst I liked most of the movies in that top 25, I wouldn't put many of them in my own top 25. The same with the Godfather: It's good, but it's not top 5 movies ever in my book.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with taking these polls from critics is that they're sample biased too. Firstly, most critics say Citizen Cane is good, so the others want to join in. Secondly, most critics are now in their 40s+, and so they're more likely to like the films of their youth than the films of today's youth.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh...no.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
uh...no.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, care to share any reasoning/refute any of my points?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:56 AM

the list in question doesn't really have a sample bias. it's about as extensive as you can get without lowering the bar considerably

most say Citizen Kane is good for reasons already mentioned in this thread. specifically, b/c it's in a class by itself

there's a ton of critics in the 30-40 range who make up this survey

most of the film that do very well are older than the vast majority of critics, so, no, they aren't from their youth

basically, you were wrong about all of it
Old 12-01-2006, 01:41 PM

The Godfather is an amazing movie. Its one of the only movies I can watch repeatedly, and still REALLY enjoy it.