Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would win in a 7-game series?
03 Kings 4 36.36%
04 Pistons 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: NFL Hypothetical

Can we make our hypothetical running back injury proof? That would make this a lot easier.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we make our hypothetical running back injury proof? That would make this a lot easier.

[/ QUOTE ]Not injury proof, but the same as with fumbles- since he knows that hes getting a yard no matter what he does, he can go out of his way to not get hit hard and to not get hurt if at all possible.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are we to assume that he never fuMbles? How is his blitz pickup? Does he have any other skills like lead blocking?

Also at 2.5 yards a carry he would not be recognized as an all star or MVP or anything close to that, but his team may win the superbowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

2.5 YPC locked up, with no fumbles/injuries would not only be in the HoF, his teams would go unbeaten for as long as he plays.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, but this includes injuries. this guy isn't going to be able to carry the ball 80 times a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, I swear that wasn't there when I skimed it the first time. In any case, there isn't a high injury potential for a guy going up 1 yard and Marvin Harrison falling. The problem is that we don't konw how he's garunteed to get the yard(s), that would help. But in any case, I really don't see injuries being a problem.

Cody
Old 03-30-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are we to assume that he never fuMbles? How is his blitz pickup? Does he have any other skills like lead blocking?

Also at 2.5 yards a carry he would not be recognized as an all star or MVP or anything close to that, but his team may win the superbowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

He fumbles and picks up the blitz at the normal rate of RBs. However, since he doesn't have to really try hard to get his one yard(he knows that hes going to get it no matter what he does) he'd probably fumble a lot less.

I'll go on record as saying that I think hes much more valuable than most are saying here. I think he'd be one of the best players of all time.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'll go on record as saying that I think hes much more valuable than most are saying here. I think he'd be one of the best players of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocker. how is the team going to get put into position for this guy to succeed?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocker. how is the team going to get put into position for this guy to succeed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure exactly what you're asking? They'd play just like any other team. Except that:

-Since they know they can convert 4th and 1s every single time, it'd pretty much be 1st and 9 instead of 1st and 10 every down for them.

-Their goal line offense and scoring in the red zone would be absolutely record setting

-They could structure their offense to actually try to get 9 yards on 1st down instead of a bit more(WR may actually run backwards for a yard or two if he catches an 11 yard pass for example). Then they can take two shots deep down the field, or if the opposition adjusted too much to this, they could run a nice underneath route for ~15 yards. Don't underestimate how much these 2 extra shots down the field will help.

-As has been mentioned, 2nd and 3, 3rd and 2, and 4th and 1 are all automatic first downs. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if 3rd down efficiency was one of the best indicators of how many points an offense scored. With this guy, they'd definitely be tops in the league.

-They could run plays without the risk of a loss of yardage. Suppose a team is in FG range but wants to run some clock before they kick the ball so the other team has no time left....well just give this guy the ball 3 times and gain 3 yards.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:37 PM

I agree, I think the majority of you guys are significantly underestimating the value of this player.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:43 PM

there would not be enough situations for this guy to have that big of an impact.

teams that can put this guy in a situation to succeed like this already are pretty succesfull at picking up first downs on 2nd and shorts.

teams that can't put this guy into a situation to succeed aren't ever going to use him.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:50 PM

I agree with Assani that most of you are severely underestimating this guy's effectiveness. It's not like he will be the only running back on your team, or the focus on the majority of plays, but there are so many situations where he significantly improves your chances of success. Every time you get 1 and goal inside the 4 you score. Most short yardage situations, you convert, including all 4th and 1s. That's at least two or three times you get a first down instead of punting per game. I think a player like that can add a couple of wins to a team each year, especially if the team develops a strategy to utilize him effectively. I voted very good, and think it's closer to top 100 than nothing special.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:10 PM

Alright I initially voted that he would see spot duty because I was thinking about how effective that would be in key spots. But really, this guy would never make it to the show. He probably would not be looked at by any universities given that he was getting 1 yard on every play in high school. His tape would be filled with either some type of idiocy or some type of clumsyness that makes him unable to get the yards his line is providing for him on the majoriy of his carries. Unless some NFL coach and GM had a vision from God telling them to let this kid walk on as an UDFA and run goal line in practice to prove his miraculous skills it is inconceivable that he could play in the NFL.