Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you support and participate in a Food/Drink Forum?
Yes 29 69.05%
No 13 30.95%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Don Imus

[ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you defending him? Do you hate non-black people? What he said was frickin tame compared to what black people "are allowed to say." There's the real racism here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the only difference between white and black people is the color of their skin?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, LOL at 'black people are allowed to say bad things about whites. that's the REAL problem.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to completely misinterpret what I said. What I actually meant was that black people are allowed to say "nappy headed ho" as much as they want and whites can't. That's blatant racism.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i love how every time somebody mentions sharpton or other civil rights activists everyone's like 'these guys are such attention whores, they will go off at the drop of a hat, their arguments are ridiculous,' etc. then nobody ever quotes the supposedly ridiculous things they say. nor do they ever give citations for the quotes/stories/anecdotes they spread about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quoted the ridiculous, offensive, racist, anti-semitic things Sharpton has said in my post above. What is amazing is that the mainstream media gives this man a platform to condemn the intolerance and incivility of others.

I find it amazing that people want Don Imus fired, yet give Sharpton a free pass as a far as I can tell. What Sharpton has said and done are far worse than what Imus said.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you defending him? Do you hate non-black people? What he said was frickin tame compared to what black people "are allowed to say." There's the real racism here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the only difference between white and black people is the color of their skin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, LOL at 'black people are allowed to say bad things about whites. that's the REAL problem.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to completely misinterpret what I said. What I actually said was that black people are allowed to say "nappy headed ho" as much as they want and whites can't. That's blatant racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not every black person thinks it's ok to call people 'nappy headed hos,' or the n-word, or bitches, and if you think that's the case, I would say that you are the person who is engaging in some pretty uncouth racial stereotyping. Unfortunately this is not at all uncommon because so many of the images of black people in the national media are of black men under the age of thirty acting like criminals, degrading women, etc.

Furthermore, even if there is a racist element to whites being discouraged from co-opting black slang, it doesn't change the content of Imus' remarks. What an appropriate response would be remains open to debate, but there was clearly a racial subtext to the demeaning humor that was being used. Your argument only seeks to deflect responsibility from the person who opened his mouth and made them.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:38 PM

It's interesting how the definition of racism has changed over the years. I used to think it meant hatred of a specific race (or cultural group).
Old 04-10-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What did Imus say? No, this is not a trap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imus called the Rutgers women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy headed hos."

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly does "nappy headed" mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Nappy" means "closely twisted or curled," a common feature of hair on black people.

(Dictionary FTW.)
Old 04-10-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simplistic, though. Wouldn't you agree that there are patterns that follow the color of ones skin? Meaning, in isolation there is no difference between a black and white man, but in reality and across a large sample size there are significant differences that are partially caused by the color of their skin.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's interesting how the definition of racism has changed over the years. I used to think it meant hatred of a specific race (or cultural group).

[/ QUOTE ]
Going by this outdated definition, I suppose, is what gets me all the bizarre looks whenever I ask "how is that racist?"
Old 04-10-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i love how every time somebody mentions sharpton or other civil rights activists everyone's like 'these guys are such attention whores, they will go off at the drop of a hat, their arguments are ridiculous,' etc. then nobody ever quotes the supposedly ridiculous things they say. nor do they ever give citations for the quotes/stories/anecdotes they spread about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quoted the ridiculous, offensive, racist, anti-semitic things Sharpton has said in my post above. What is amazing is that the mainstream media gives this man a platform to condemn the intolerance and incivility of others.

I find it amazing that people want Don Imus fired, yet give Sharpton a free pass as a far as I can tell. What Sharpton has said and done are far worse than what Imus said.

[/ QUOTE ]

so link to a website or newspaper where these remarks were reported, or a source of some sort. there are a ton of apocryphal stories floating around about most public figures and until i read it in print, or see a video or something, i simply don't believe it.

anyway, it gets real old real fast when every time an issue comes up and sharpton speaks out on it, people dismiss it by saying 'sharpton's a worse racist than anything these people ever did.' it ignores the content of the situation at hand. it's a convenient way to ignore whatever problem sharpton is attacking (some of which are very serious) by attacking him instead.

it's also entirely possible for people to change over time. malcolm x used to be a tremendously racist person, and he began to change his tune late in life.