Default Re: Racial poll about Barry Bonds

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Barry Bonds is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM

I still suspect that if you took this same poll about McGwire, you'd see similar results, especially among the white voters.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
Why people hate Barry Bonds will never make sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre aware that the people who hate him had at one point enslaved his entire race right?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
youre aware that the people who hate him had at one point enslaved his entire race right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I'd remember doing that.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still suspect that if you took this same poll about McGwire, you'd see similar results, especially among the white voters.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the poll were about Dan Marino?

Similar results?

Both were prominent BALCO clients, and both broke prominent records in major sports.....although many may not even have heard a peep about Marino being on the Conte bandwagon..that little tidbit usually gets left out of every single one of a the million previous Bonds/Steroids/Balco stories.

Of course the results wouldn't be similar......but not because Marino is white and Bonds is black....it would be because it's football, Babe Ruth never held the passing record, and you haven't been force fed by sportswriters for 20 years that Marino is a dick, but instead he is a media golden boy.

For what it's worth, this whole mess has much more to do with the sport, the record, and the baseball media's grudge against Bonds and their subsequent tainting of public opinion through one sided anecdotal stories to demonize him than it does about race.

If Bonds had been a slap happy Uncle Tom for the past 20 years and pandered to the sports media's every desires he'd be seen in a much different light.

But he did it his way instead, and they just can't stand it.

And in a sense those who loathed Barry may end up regretting their actions, in what started as a witch hunt for Bonds may have inadvertently opened a pandora's box of unintended consequences as we've seen several other athletes fail tests, been named in reports, and surely to fall like dominoes between the Grimsley Report (once it is entirely public) and the mess with the Met's clubbie, and the Will inquisition.

Through it all, several dozens if not hundreds of players will fall in the scorched earth attempts to get at Bonds....but they will never, NEVER succeed in putting the pin on their primary target.

And it kills them to realize it.

The IRS spent millions trying to pin anything on him, the Feds broke their own laws in leaking testimony as a last ditch effort to somehow get at him, and the public is fed daily anecdotal reports on how he is a monster who eats babies so as to dissuade any sympathy for him.....

...and he still goes along. Doing what he do. Playing ball, making bank...while those who hate grow increasingly frustrated in realizing that they just can't shake him.

And it's because he's Barry Bonds, and they're not.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A majority of fans -- 58 percent -- think Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. The second greatest hitter in the history of the MLB, and 42% think he's not an HOFer.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, 78 percent of blacks think Bonds should be recognized as the home run leader, compared to 53 percent of whites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I a racist for thinking that 755 is higher than 744?
Old 05-08-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, 78 percent of blacks think Bonds should be recognized as the home run leader, compared to 53 percent of whites.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think this is racially divided? What do you think public sentiment was like circa 1973, when the Hammer was creeping up on the Holy Grail, Babe Ruth himself?

Five years removed from the Civil Rights marches, you really think the predominantly white fan base was cheering with glee as the Hammer was about to eclipse an Americon icon for the most treasured mark in all of sports?

How soon we forget.

The Black desire was a helluva lot more than 78%, and the white desire was ridiculously lower than 53%..I'd be surprised if it was even a fourth of that.

Of course, you won't hear much about those times from the East coast sports print media who opined against the legitimacy of Aaron's record and it's meaning at the time (162 games vs 154...watered down pitching due to expansion, the lowered mound, the livlier ball...smaller stadiums...any sliver of an excuse they could grab at to illegitimize Aaron's efforts.).... because they would be embarrased to restate the opinions of yesteryear in today's climate, and they have slowly grown to embrace the Hammer, especially as the man they once rooted against is now the last thing protecting them from the big bad Bonds boogeyman!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And in a sense those who loathed Barry may end up regretting their actions, in what started as a witch hunt for Bonds may have inadvertently opened a pandora's box of unintended consequences as we've seen several other athletes fail tests, been named in reports, and surely to fall like dominoes between the Grimsley Report (once it is entirely public) and the mess with the Met's clubbie, and the Will inquisition.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh pooh pooh, people are going to have to pay for their actions. I have no sympathy for them, they made their choice; they pay the price. As a fan I'll be a little disappointed if any of MY guys are outed, but I will blame the players for it and not try and shift blame to boogeymen like the media.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 PM

They talked about this ad nauseum on Sports Center the other night. One thing that caught my attention, was in all the polls they listed the races as "White" and "African American". Now, clearly black people aren't ACTUALLY black, but white people aren't actually white either.. Seems to me it should either be "White" and "Black" or something like "Caucasian" and "African American". Meh.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:16 PM

I'm not Black nor White and I hate Barry Bonds. Well, I *am* a Dodger fan, so that's where my bias lies.

Seriously, I hate the guy as much as anyone, but he's innocent until proven guilty, and even if he did use the stuff before it was banned, he was playing by the rules, much like McGwire and andro during his HR chase. He surely deserves to be in the HoF unless it's been PROVEN that he cheated. I still don't want him to break Aaron's record, mainly because I think Aaron has much more class in his little pinky than in Bonds' whole body.