Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: DeathDonkey is in the well

Coach me? (First I think.)

Advice for adjusting to live play? I've played high online, but I have very limited live experience, a day of 5/5 NL500 and a day of 15/30 FL. When I turn 21 in July, I'll probably be out in Vegas with no idea what I'm doing. Do you have any trouble adjusting to playing with "realer" money live? I was just as nervous playing NL500 with a bunch of donks as I was when I took a shot at 500/1000 on FTP.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Coach me? (First I think.)

Advice for adjusting to live play? I've played high online, but I have very limited live experience, a day of 5/5 NL500 and a day of 15/30 FL. When I turn 21 in July, I'll probably be out in Vegas with no idea what I'm doing. Do you have any trouble adjusting to playing with "realer" money live? I was just as nervous playing NL500 with a bunch of donks as I was when I took a shot at 500/1000 on FTP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure when I'll be able to get into coaching stuff but I hope to in the future. I totally agree with you about live poker feeling more real money-wise. For me, its knowing those bills I used to have in my pocket are now gone (if I lose) and it is something I can see and feel unlike online where its just numbers. I went from online MMORPGs to poker so online poker has always been like a video game for me I'd say. Live poker is gambling.

Advice for live play...hmm...pay attention at the table! Don't allow yourself to get bored. There is so much to learn if you keep your eyes and ears open, people give everything away. You will be amazed at the clarity of your reads if you are able to do this and make laydowns you couldn't make online in a million years. Don't worry about your own physical tells or crap like that, always verbally say "raise" because you will grab the wrong number of chips and possibly string raise, never blame the dealer, be nice to people at the table even though they usually don't deserve it. Tip a buck when you win a pot that goes to the flop. That's all I can think of now, I'll play with you in Vegas sometime and fix you right up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not sure when I'll be able to get into coaching stuff but I hope to in the future. I totally agree with you about live poker feeling more real money-wise. For me, its knowing those bills I used to have in my pocket are now gone (if I lose) and it is something I can see and feel unlike online where its just numbers. I went from online MMORPGs to poker so online poker has always been like a video game for me I'd say. Live poker is gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, I totally feel the same way. I used to play Asheron's Call and I think I was on the same server as Grimstarr (not a face you forget [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) but he didn't answer me when I asked. I also dabbled in AC2, AO, The Realm, WOW beta and DAoC before poker took over my hobby time. I'm guessing you played EQ? (Probability theory. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

I've been a very generous tipper in my live poker experience so far, mostly red chip games I've been tipping red chips pretty frequently, do guys only tip a dollar in the 100 game even? I'm sure I'll cut back if I ever play live more than recreationally but I've just been getting to know these clubs in NY and I like to keep these guys happy since it's no skin off my back.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is your first name?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of car do you drive?

[/ QUOTE ]

A 99 Honda Accord my mom gave me. I like cars in theory but not enough to spend money on.

[ QUOTE ]
about a month ago, I was playing .50/1 at Stars. a player by the name of "DeathDonkey" sat down 2 seats to my right. Was that you? I gave a sup bro? but got no response.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was me for sure, as that was my original name on most sites. Sorry I must not have seen your chat. I'm 99% sure I was filming a video for a poker strategy site and 1% tilting off money in a safe game (you were there, if I was playing at all decent than 100% for the poker video site).

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of this whole Neteller fiasco? Do you think we will ever see our money?

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought it would blow over quickly, now I'm honestly a bit worried about it. From what I read in the legislation forum we will get our money, eventually. I have a lot tied up in there so I'm particularly concerned about this info. Stay tuned as I will be I guess.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM

DD,

1. tell me everything you know (or at least all the important stuff) about table and seat selection. this part of my game has been totally neglected until now so i'm taking action.

2. Thank you so much for playing this hand against Josh. it really opened my eyes regarding thinking ahead and on another level during play.

bbbushu
Old 01-31-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DD,

1. tell me everything you know (or at least all the important stuff) about table and seat selection. this part of my game has been totally neglected until now so i'm taking action.

2. Thank you so much for playing this hand against Josh. it really opened my eyes regarding thinking ahead and on another level during play.

bbbushu

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Obviously the looser the better, but a game can be good if you can get the best seat on the worst player, and a game can be bad if you are stuck in the worst seat, even if there is a bad player or two. You want the fish on your immediate right and preferably the tightest or most passive player on your left. Bisonbison made a great post back in the day about this subject, maybe someone can find it in the archives.

If you play shorthanded, when I play 3 handed I think I am unique in that I want the fish on my left and the other good player on my right. This is because I would rather have position on the good player in blind battles and let the fish have position when I am in a blind battle with him. Also, the fish will play his SB worse when you are on the button so there is extra value in it.

2) Wow its funny seeing that old hand. Now that I read it it strikes me as not worth posting, rather boring actually. I guess that is a good sign, it shows I make plays like that naturally now but at the time it was something I found creative. I have learned a ton by playing with other good players and discussing with them after. We used to have a bunch of 2+2 tables and the very best ones were shorthanded at stakes that people had a bit of fear to lose at.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 08:06 PM

Firstly, congradulations on your success.

How many tables did you play when you started to seriously move up limits?

This is DavidC, for what it's worth, and I play 2/4 -> 5/10 now, and NL as high a 5/5 but generally more like 0.25/0.5.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, congradulations on your success.

How many tables did you play when you started to seriously move up limits?

This is DavidC, for what it's worth, and I play 2/4 -> 5/10 now, and NL as high a 5/5 but generally more like 0.25/0.5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always played between 1 and 4 tables. I've tried more a few times but my results haven't been very good doing so. When I move up to a new level I always start with one and then add a second table and two table for awhile before I am comfortable. The less tables the better my reads are but obviously the lower my $/hour.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-31-2007, 08:43 PM

Deathdonkey,

Can you post your pic?

Thanks,
Buzz
Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Deathdonkey,

Can you post your pic?

Thanks,
Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been posted on 2+2 a couple times. Once I did myself in OOT with my wife (then fiancee) in the picture. If someone is deft enough with searching to find that (shouldn't be hard if you search for all my OOT posts of which there are very few).

-DeathDonkey