Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: MY NEW COMPUTER SUCKS

ya my zone alarm (something i did, certainly) is making my blog act funny and none of the animated avatars are working anymore on 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ya my zone alarm (something i did, certainly) is making my blog act funny and none of the animated avatars are working anymore on 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

please please please get rid of Zone Alarm now...it does nothing but cause problems. You can use the Comodo firewall that's free and works great.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

please please please get rid of Zone Alarm now...it does nothing but cause problems. You can use the Comodo firewall that's free and works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to get into a pissing match but I've been using the free version of ZA for over 5 years and never had a problem. Once "trained" it works silently in the background, uses minimal resources, and simply does it's work quietly. I've heard great things about Commodo and even considered starting to use it, but I don't think I could say ZA does nothing but cause problems.

Again, not wanting to start a debate here but I just don't believe ZA has anything to do with the users current problems at hand. Granted I have seen some people who've basically locked down their systems to an unusable state because they clicked "no" on every ZA access request, thus denying any internet access in or out of their computer. But that is a user's ignorant mistake, not ZA.

Lastly, I'm not the worlds biggest ZA fan, I've just been happy with the security and ease of use it's provided over the last several years. However, I've seen alot of talk about Comodo and I'd consider giving it a whirl and might find I like it alot better than ZA!
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 PM

I used comodo, bit whatever its called? made by the hacker, Norton and MCAFFE.

I prefered ZA due to it recognising/warning about viruses i had coded myself.

Comodo and Norton both didnt have a clue, i also like its HOOK DETECTION features.

If you can configure a firewall, ZA is perfecto.

Only thing i hate about ZA is MSN has problems with it.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:14 AM

Heres why COMODO is a pain in the ass also:

UHHHHHHHHH
Old 02-08-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to get into a pissing match but I've been using the free version of ZA for over 5 years and never had a problem. Once "trained" it works silently in the background, uses minimal resources, and simply does it's work quietly. I've heard great things about Commodo and even considered starting to use it, but I don't think I could say ZA does nothing but cause problems.

Again, not wanting to start a debate here but I just don't believe ZA has anything to do with the users current problems at hand. Granted I have seen some people who've basically locked down their systems to an unusable state because they clicked "no" on every ZA access request, thus denying any internet access in or out of their computer. But that is a user's ignorant mistake, not ZA.

Lastly, I'm not the worlds biggest ZA fan, I've just been happy with the security and ease of use it's provided over the last several years. However, I've seen alot of talk about Comodo and I'd consider giving it a whirl and might find I like it alot better than ZA!

[/ QUOTE ]

same. I had used it a long time ago and didn't really have any problems myself but just didn't really like firewalls back then because they were kind "iffy" (would sometimes block traffic after uninstalling or disabling, etc).

I am not the big Comodo fan either, but I just haven't had problems with it. The main reason I don't like ZA is that all I ever hear on forums (from probably less advanced users than us) is the problems it causes. Some problems may be caused by those users, but I know a lot of it is out of the box in the full version. Such as the ad-blocking features (that everyone has problems with because it disables images and content that shouldn't be disabled - even after the feature is disabled in the prog).

The people that use the free version are probably better off in my eyes because they aren't paying for it. I just wonder why people pay for that when they can get free stuff out there that works just as good, if not better.

/goldzor
Old 02-08-2007, 01:08 AM

Good post Goldtoes and I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I was talking to a buddy about ZA and he mentioned some of the same things you did about hearing bad things about the paid version. As for things like ad-blocking (I know this is a no-no subject on 2+2) I think that is something that needs to be done at the browser level and not by some 3rd party software. Totally agree with ya there.

The one ZA problem I've had a few times is that it will cause some networking problems between two XP computers. Even after setting up a "safe" range of specific local IP's sometimes it will still prevent the two pc's from seeing each other. Total pain in the butt since it doesn't consistently cause this problem.(at least in my experience)

[ QUOTE ]
I just wonder why people pay for that when they can get free stuff out there that works just as good, if not better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't agree with you more! Totally baffles my mind.

- Jason
Old 02-08-2007, 07:44 AM

No one pays for ZA. Those who use ZA and can configure it can also find serials [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ive set mine up, runs sweeeet as. Got printers shared, trusted networks(excluding one PC used for file downloading which is kept isolated on the network).

ZA rocks, and its anti virus is detected by XP [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one pays for ZA.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously people do...they're still around!

lol, and like I said...y post wasn't aimed at people who know what they're doing. It's aimed at the everyday user that has no clue what they're doing and just accepts default everything in the configuration.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Id say norton is best for the "Average confused person" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] it runs a bit resource heavy, but its so simple to use(Learning feature seems pretty good too).

Finally got PAHUD to not be seen as a virus :S