Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Is Rondo the best defensive PG in the league?

[ QUOTE ]
Best defensive PG in the lanes, Baron Davis. There is no one even close in that department.

Best defenseive PG straight up one-on-one, Daniel Ewing. However, that's stating it very loosely at the moment. There is no longer a shut down guy, like Gary Payton was, at the PG position. At the SG spot, Raja Bell is probably the best around.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...and agreed...d ewing got a little bit of a bum rap for "letting" raja hit that 3 in the playoffs the year before last...

i think the new kid on the block to watch is dj strawberry...he did a great job on lbj when he was still at mater dei...was always underrated at maryland...and was easily the best defender in the vegas summer league - he is the only one that even came close to giving louis williams problems.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Best defensive PG in the lanes, Baron Davis. There is no one even close in that department.

Best defenseive PG straight up one-on-one, Daniel Ewing. However, that's stating it very loosely at the moment. There is no longer a shut down guy, like Gary Payton was, at the PG position. At the SG spot, Raja Bell is probably the best around.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...and agreed...d ewing got a little bit of a bum rap for "letting" raja hit that 3 in the playoffs the year before last...

i think the new kid on the block to watch is dj strawberry...he did a great job on lbj when he was still at mater dei...was always underrated at maryland...and was easily the best defender in the vegas summer league - he is the only one that even came close to giving louis williams problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOT THE VEGAS SUMMER LEAGUE!

Is this one of your 100% locks?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

In regards to the Okafor argument going on

Doing some critical thinking about the transition from college defensive player to professional defensive player, it seems that the transition is easier for a perimeter player than for an inside player.

My reasoning for this would be that perimeter defense puts more of an emphasis on quickness and instincts; interior defense likely emphasizes physical strength a little bit more. Young players who have not yet physically developed to their peaks and have not had time to do as much weight training as their more experienced counterparts are at a bit of a disadvantage.

FWIW, I watch very little basketball, and could be largely overestimating how much physical development a 20 year old still has to undergo, and could be easily wrong on what skillsets favor what positions in the NBA.

Also FWIW, this theory of mine is why I believe McRoberts is going to be a late bloomer in the NBA, he's gonna need some time to physically develop before he can play the way he did in college
Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 PM

I don't think hes the best but he will lead the league in steals easily.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
according to this analysis, yes, he is. Interesting enough, it rates Deron near the very bottom. The stat definitely isn't perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, being a Jazz fan and seeing DWill rated a 3 and DFisher a 39 gives me doubts about the validity of that stat.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon now.

[/ QUOTE ]

sip the bill simmons koolaid much? i like the guy honestly, but you Bostonians take everything he says as fact and its kinda ridiculous.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:56 PM

not really barry, but OK. I think the vast majority of boston sports posters on here don't base arguments off of Simmons work. We might be biased, but we're not retarded.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 PM

I like Simmons for the most part, but even you have to admit that this post reeks of some Bill Simmons bias. I'm an SEC guy (see avatar) and I saw numerous Kentucky games with Rondo so even though I didn't see him last year, I have seen him play a decent bit.

Your link rates RR #1 with a 96 rating. Some other guys are Devin Harris 91, Billups 48, Davis 94, Rafer Alston 92, Kidd 80, and TJ Ford 76. Billups @ 48 is atrocious, hey maybe he's fallen off some, but 48?!?! As someone who lives in Houston and watched the Rockets all of last year, putting Alston at 92 is laughable. This guy was getting killed on a nightly basis last season. Even if you don't watch the Rockets, you still probably saw the playoff series where Deron just abused him. Kidd at 80 is also low I would say, especially if RR is a 96. Also, the fact that Kidd is 80 and TJ is 76 is laughable again. TJ Ford is a terrible defender, he's undersized, injury prone and can't guard anyone in the league except for maybe Ridnour lol.

Also, since when do we start calling roll players best at anything? RR has played one season, only started a quarter of the games and averaged 23.5 mpg last year. Let him play a little bit and then I think it'll be fair to decide whether he's the "best" or not.

On a side note, I didn't mean to come off anti-Boston or anything. I've never even been there before. I do however hate your baseball team with a passion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. This post just smelled Simmonsesque IMO because I know he's a homer like all of us and a RR fanboy.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Simmons for the most part, but even you have to admit that this post reeks of some Bill Simmons bias. I'm an SEC guy (see avatar) and I saw numerous Kentucky games with Rondo so even though I didn't see him last year, I have seen him play a decent bit.

Your link rates RR #1 with a 96 rating. Some other guys are Devin Harris 91, Billups 48, Davis 94, Rafer Alston 92, Kidd 80, and TJ Ford 76. Billups @ 48 is atrocious, hey maybe he's fallen off some, but 48?!?! As someone who lives in Houston and watched the Rockets all of last year, putting Alston at 92 is laughable. This guy was getting killed on a nightly basis last season. Even if you don't watch the Rockets, you still probably saw the playoff series where Deron just abused him. Kidd at 80 is also low I would say, especially if RR is a 96. Also, the fact that Kidd is 80 and TJ is 76 is laughable again. TJ Ford is a terrible defender, he's undersized, injury prone and can't guard anyone in the league except for maybe Ridnour lol.

Also, since when do we start calling roll players best at anything? RR has played one season, only started a quarter of the games and averaged 23.5 mpg last year. Let him play a little bit and then I think it'll be fair to decide whether he's the "best" or not.

On a side note, I didn't mean to come off anti-Boston or anything. I've never even been there before. I do however hate your baseball team with a passion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. This post just smelled Simmonsesque IMO because I know he's a homer like all of us and a RR fanboy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy there. Failure to ejaculate over Rondo is a bannable offense around these parts.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:16 AM

Take out the word "defensive" and we have an actual debate.

Obv he's the best defensive. Not really debatable.