Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Top pair in a small pot

Grunch:

You could be up against a FD, plus even if you're outkicked for facing two pair you probably have the implied odds you need, so call and reevaluate on the turn.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, you're getting 8:1 and you maybe have 5 outs. I'd fold it. Maybe call just to not look weak and hope to catch on the turn. I can't imagine he's 3-betting a FD here unless he's got 7x[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] so I'm assuming you're behind a good amount of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting post. but i don't get why he's getting 8:1. can anyone explain. maybe i'm a little bit confused right now...
Old 05-23-2006, 06:36 AM

I would definitely not raise here. Even a call feels like pushing a marginal edge to me.

BB could have 2 pair, a ten with higher kicker or a pair and a strong flush draw. He might even have a very weks backdoor straight draw to go with the flush draw.
Even a "blank" on the turn could give him a valid GSSD to go with his FD.

Looking at our holdings, if we're ahead we're not far ahead, if we're behind, we're probably in a bad condition.

The pot has a fair size and it'll probably end up being 8+ big bets, so calling is an option. What I don't like, though, is that the dead money is so little. We really need a fair chance to win this one.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but i don't get why he's getting 8:1. can anyone explain. maybe i'm a little bit confused right now...

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 3.5 small bets carried over from preflop (2 limps + SB + BB). Add the 2 bets from hero's raise and 3 bets from BB's 3-bet = 8.5 small bets.
Hero must pay (at least) one more bet to see the turn.

Hence, 8.5:1 (I usually drop half bets, so 8:1)
Old 05-23-2006, 09:25 AM

*grunch*
Good raise on the flop to protect a marginal holding. My plan is to call and fold unimproved. My rationale is that the three bet is pretty strange. BB must have a ragged two-pair, maybe 333. You have six outs to beat the 2-pair; beating the 333 is a long shot.