Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Sleep

im in HS, i work on a biphasic sleep cycle, i sleep from about 2:30am-7am and 4pm-6:30pm, its what i found works for me, maybe you could try it.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 PM

That's pretty interesting. How did you get into that? I.e. was it a concious choice like you were reading about polyphasic sleep and thought it might work, or did you drift into it somehow?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's pretty interesting. How did you get into that? I.e. was it a concious choice like you were reading about polyphasic sleep and thought it might work, or did you drift into it somehow?

[/ QUOTE ]

i really have problems sleeping early, i just started going to sleep later because id get home from school and be exhausted. i realized that i will never get any work done while im tired i started taking naps, which started getting longer as i stayed up later, til it got to this point that just works for me. i know im not gonna get any work done when i get home, so why not use that time sleeping and be more awake later? i've tried to get ot a normal sleep cycle but to get 8 hours id have to be sleeping at 11pm, and i just cannot manage that. ive always had immense trouble sleeping, never got any professional help but it takes me 30minute-2hours from when i decide to go to bed and when i actually sleep
Old 10-19-2007, 06:27 AM

2 am-8am weekdays, weekends like 4 am - 4pm
Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 AM

just go to bed half the days

I use this, it's awesome... it's actually ANTI-sleep so I don't know why I'm posting it. However - from a different perspective, it allows you to feel fully rested. Case in point, I did a project last night til 6 am. My class is at 9am. I had a dose of modafanil (from above link) and have woken up refreshed. Usually I crash after the class to like 1 pm, but I'm fine now - it's pretty cool.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I use this, it's awesome... it's actually ANTI-sleep so I don't know why I'm posting it. However - from a different perspective, it allows you to feel fully rested. Case in point, I did a project last night til 6 am. My class is at 9am. I had a dose of modafanil (from above link) and have woken up refreshed. Usually I crash after the class to like 1 pm, but I'm fine now - it's pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
your god
Old 10-19-2007, 04:42 PM

freshman year in college i had noticed that my sleep schedule was sucking. somehow i got myself to get eight hours of sleep for two weeks. my grades were great and my focus was at its best. obv, being in college, this routine didnt last. between all the drinking, poker, and killing time with roomates and girlfriend, i never sleep during the week. average night i goto sleep at 3 to 3:30am. wake up at 8:45 for class. I have been doing this since freshman year and am a senior now. get a lot more sleep on weekend. even during the summer, i can never fall asleep before three. even when i have to get up for work.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
your god

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, suggesting a controlled substance that people cant obtain seems kinda meh.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 AM

these sleep threads are always hillarious with people throwing around the 'you die without REM' and 'sleep debt' stuff.

anyhoo one thing i'd look at is improving your quality of sleep. Pretty easy to research it. Also try things like exercising in the morning and see if that helps.

Another thing you can try is napping. I forget who said it, maybe claudio sampi, but having a 20 minute nap during the afternoon can take 60 minutes off ur night time sleep time. Imo nappying is the easiest change to make if you want to cutdown on sleep time.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 PM

Whenever i slip into the wrong sleeping patterns, i reset them by staying awake. Often, i slip into the 3 or 4 am to 2pm cycle. Instead of falling asleep at 4 am, I will stay awake all of the day until about 9 or 10 pm. You will be extremely tired the whole day and probably useleess, but you will have no problem falling asleep at a "decent" time.
Now that your getting up at 9 am-ish, after 14 hours of being awake, your body will be ready to sleep by 11pm.

If you think about it, this is the same concept that yeilded the later sleeping cycle. One night, you stayed up later than usual(to study for a test or party or w/e.) pushing back your normal bedtime. This caused your normal time that you awake to be push backed. Since you cannot voluntarily go to sleep when your not tired (unlike your ability to voluntarily stay awake when you are), you get stuck into that later sleep cycle.

Of course, this would all be a waste of time if you were to disrupt the "normal cycle". I suggest you set up a routine and stick to it.