Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Everybody should give away their organs upon death

<font color="blue"> As I understand it, Jewish people believe that in order to get into heaven, all of one's body parts must remain intact. </font>

So those innocent victims of suicide bombers get screwed twice?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it, Jewish people believe that in order to get into heaven, all of one's body parts must remain intact. Therefore, anyone who donates organs must not only disbelieve this, but must assign an absolute probability of ZERO that this belief is correct, since the penalty for being wrong, eternal damnation, is infinitely greater than even the loss of life itself.

There must be many organ donors here. Are you all 100% sure that this Jewish belief is incorrect? 99.99999% sure won't do.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe that you must donate at least one organ to get into heaven. are you 100% sure that this belief is incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the best one line rebuttals I've ever seen on this site.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it, Jewish people believe that in order to get into heaven, all of one's body parts must remain intact. Therefore, anyone who donates organs must not only disbelieve this, but must assign an absolute probability of ZERO that this belief is correct, since the penalty for being wrong, eternal damnation, is infinitely greater than even the loss of life itself.

There must be many organ donors here. Are you all 100% sure that this Jewish belief is incorrect? 99.99999% sure won't do.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe that you must donate at least one organ to get into heaven. are you 100% sure that this belief is incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is it really? it looked horrible to me. see, one belief is part of a religion that is very old and which a lot of people believe in. the other was made on the fly by a poster on an internet forum. i don't think you're going to throw any believers into a frenzy with that clever rebuttal.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is it really? it looked horrible to me. see, one belief is part of a religion that is very old and which a lot of people believe in. the other was made on the fly by a poster on an internet forum. i don't think you're going to throw any believers into a frenzy with that clever rebuttal.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a significant portion of the population that believes that good works are the only way to get into heaven (or at least one way). The fact is that following the Jewish religion to the letter means that you can't follow religion X to the letter which precludes you going to heaven under religion X and fully rebuts the "infinite suffering V finite sacrifice" argument put forward in this thread.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if its old? Surely you aren't implying that Sephus' religious belief is somehow inferior to Judaism? What metric do you use?

Oh wait, you already answered that, antiquity.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a significant portion of the population that believes that good works are the only way to get into heaven (or at least one way). The fact is that following the Jewish religion to the letter means that you can't follow religion X to the letter which precludes you going to heaven under religion X and fully rebuts the "infinite suffering V finite sacrifice" argument put forward in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if there isn't, one can easily envision a POSSIBLE religion that has such a tenet. And since there are an infinite number of possible religions, it seems far more likely, to me, that the correct one is some Possible Religion #4959759707705 that no one has ever believed in-yet.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I always wondered why jews refused heart transplants, instead opting for early death from heart disease.

Good to know why.

chez
Old 08-22-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not even close to true.

Many non-Jews probably believe that the act of doing a deed as wonderful as donating organs would be more likely to sway the heaven/hell decision in favor of heaven.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Governments should not prohibit markets for human organs. Problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did this thread not end after the first post? Anyone and everyone should be able to sell the rights to their organs after they die. Most will quite easily take a couple of hundred dollars now for something that will never affect them. Cue a huge, plentiful supply of cheap organs for all.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm willing to say 100% is pretty reasonable