Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Future for Online Pros

[ QUOTE ]
Being a shark or fish is all relative, just learn to improve faster than your opponents. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are probably thousands of players online playing at 3/6, 5/10, and higher on various sites.
They aren't all exactly as sharp as Howard Greenstein or Barry Lederer.

If I didn't think I could get better at this game than Joe-average-shmoe (or even Joe-average-2+2'er) I wouldn't have taken it up in the first place.

Incredibly, it actually IS possible to win at this game even on tables with 19/11 pre-flop table-averages.
The trick: play better than your opponents.

If all the 80/30 fish somehow all magically dried-up and died (unlikely) I have every confidence I can still learn to beat the games and stay ahead of the curve.

Whether or not I will still be motivated to do that or not is another topic. I might get bored with it and decide to get a regular job anyway,

But for anybody who is smart enough there shouldn't be too much to worry about.
If you are not a very good player to begin with and don't care about becoming one then I agree that the absence of truly terrible fishy players will cause you problems.

In short - If I'm not beating the games then I don't blame my opponents for not completely sucking.
I blame myself for not working harder to beat a bunch of people who STILL likely have extremely exploitable leaks in spite of their semi-competent pre-flop standards.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:08 PM

If we ever see online poker become explicitly legal in the US (like it is in Europe) then I believe we will see a new golden age of online poker.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being a shark or fish is all relative, just learn to improve faster than your opponents. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are probably thousands of players online playing at 3/6, 5/10, and higher on various sites.
They aren't all exactly as sharp as Howard Greenstein or Barry Lederer.

If I didn't think I could get better at this game than Joe-average-shmoe (or even Joe-average-2+2'er) I wouldn't have taken it up in the first place.

Incredibly, it actually IS possible to win at this game even on tables with 19/11 pre-flop table-averages.
The trick: play better than your opponents.

If all the 80/30 fish somehow all magically dried-up and died (unlikely) I have every confidence I can still learn to beat the games and stay ahead of the curve.

Whether or not I will still be motivated to do that or not is another topic. I might get bored with it and decide to get a regular job anyway,

But for anybody who is smart enough there shouldn't be too much to worry about.
If you are not a very good player to begin with and don't care about becoming one then I agree that the absence of truly terrible fishy players will cause you problems.

In short - If I'm not beating the games then I don't blame my opponents for not completely sucking.
I blame myself for not working harder to beat a bunch of people who STILL likely have extremely exploitable leaks in spite of their semi-competent pre-flop standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. A lot of people complained about how rocky the Empire tables were. I never disagreed with that image, but it didn't mean that the tables were any less profitable. I always made a killing at those tables during bonus periods.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:57 PM

Virtually everyone playing mid-stakes NL seems to agree that the games have gotten fishier than ever over the last 6 months.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we ever see online poker become explicitly legal in the US (like it is in Europe) then I believe we will see a new golden age of online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Only in our dreams. If the legislation passes online poker is very close to finito. Sure if it was completely legal there'd be a massive boom, if all fish were able to use their credit cards and paypal accounts poker would become one of the most profitable professions on an hourly basis.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:14 PM

i seem to make more money every proceding month. poker is going to get harder and harder, but its still ridiculously easy. the quality of the games right now are a joke. the games are going to have to get insanely harder for the glory days to be over. right now we are in a period of OMGGLORYALLELUIAROFLLL. im not the type of guy who excels at something on an elite level because im just not intelligent enough to compete with true prodigies. i dont deserve the hourly rate i have but i have it because of how laughable the poker industry is right now.

to clarify, im not trying to brag. we all know alot of us are making alot of money. the money im making pales in comparison to alot of others here. what im saying is that if youre not getting your share of the oodles of money floating around out there, you probably dont have a very good grasp of the game at this point. right now the poker industry consists of 30% people with some studious poker knowledge, 5% people with some advanced poker knowledge and 65% people with primitive monkey brains.

were blessed.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:54 PM

I've noticed NL games stay fishy or even get fishier while limit games at the low limits from 1/2 to 3/6 and that range have gotten much tougher. I think the reason that higher limit games don't tighten up as fast is because a good number of those players are cash cows playing for fun, and the ones playing 1/2 to 3/6 are often people trying to really learn to tighten up and such. I mean, the games at lower limits are still easier, but there used to be a time when talbe VPIP were up at 60% at any limit at any time, and that situation seems *relatively* rare now.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:45 PM

Poker is not supposed to be waiting for good hands to bust the fish. There is so so much more to the game than that.

Sure its nice when a whale comes by and donates, but real poker is much more complex than that. I think the OP has just been spoiled.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:34 AM

Gone are the days of Pacific 3/6 with 5-7 to each river.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is not supposed to be waiting for good hands to bust the fish. There is so so much more to the game than that.

Sure its nice when a whale comes by and donates, but real poker is much more complex than that. I think the OP has just been spoiled.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, I think that it is (mostly). Half of a good player earnings come from AA alone.

Also it is true that there are many fishes out there, but there are also many good players.
Just some years ago it was difficult to find books about poker, even more difficult good ones. Nowadays eveybody is writing books and all the players are educating eachother at forums, websites, even the poker sites have poker schools. Table selection has becommed one of the key elements of your poker destiny.