Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: PHD Scientist believes in God.

He's smart enough to know this:

[ QUOTE ]
But reason alone cannot prove the existence of God. Faith is reason plus revelation, and the revelation part requires one to think with the spirit as well as with the mind. You have to hear the music, not just read the notes on the page. Ultimately, a leap of faith is required.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-12-2007, 03:04 PM

Cleary this is intelligent design. It is so obvious that I wonder how anyone could miss it.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:09 PM

Faith begins where reason ends. And as Emily Dickinson sarcastically wrote many years ago:

"Faith" is a fine invention
When Gentlemen can see--
But Microscopes are prudent
In an Emergency.

In the Bush administration we have a faith-based foreign policy and a faith-based science policy, but the problem with that is, "faith-based" is "ignorance-based."

Faith is fine in matters about which we can have no information. But when we have it, it is better to use that information rationally rather than to resort to a blind reliance on faith.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WHAT? I don't understand string-theory,

[/ QUOTE ]

But you believe it? why?
[ QUOTE ]

but it easily makes way more sense than

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly. The 13-dimensions that curl up into strings that can't really be seen or measured but trust us they are there or we have to admit 94% of the universe is still missing makes extremely LITTLE sense, even to quantum mechanists working in the field.

[ QUOTE ]
all-powerful-invisable-ghost-man-who-dreamed-up-everything-that-exists-and-ever-will-happen-and-you have to believe -it-or-he-will-send-you-to-molten-lava-world-theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not Catholic, but if you go down to GTown or StJoe's or Gonzaga or Marquette, and ask the Jesuits who teach theology, they will inform you of the many errors in your assertion, given their beliefs.

I've highlighted most of them for you, you seem to be pretty confused.

In addition, many different faiths believe in different God or gods or deities. Just because Religion XYZ's idea of God may not be correct, doesn't mean anyone else's idea of god/jwhw is necessarily wrong. The greatest philosophers and theologians of alltime have wrestled with this question, you certainly aren't going to come up with THE answer on this board anytime soon. Believe, or don't believe, or keep an open mind about it -- no one really cares what you think.

Regardless, absence of proof is not proof of absence. And I'm agnostic.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/col...ary/index.html

I don't follow the religious posts...but didn't David dare people to find someone who was like super smart who believed in God or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are hundreds and thousands of top doctors and scientists who believe in god/allah/jhwh. Just because they don't hang out with David doesn't mean they don't exist.

Physics PhD's also believe that 94% of the universe is the currently unknowable 'dark matter.' So everyone believes wacky things, and god is a lot less wacky than superstring theory and 13 dimensions to make the math come out right.

[/ QUOTE ]

The meaning of the word "belief" in this case is completely different from what it means to a religious person. To a scientist, "dark matter" is a short hand proxy for something like: "there are irregularities in galactic rotation that are not accounted for by the visible matter they contain, assuming that our current conception of general relativity is correct (and I'm open to the possibility it isn't and will listen objectively to any evidence to the contrary), there must be something we aren't detecting that is warping space in the same way gravity does... lets call this currently unkown stuff 'dark matter' until we can figure out a way to investigate further"

I think it's one of the great tragedies of the english language that there is a word that can mean what I said above, and also mean "a 2000 year old book said so and I'm going to dogmatically view it as correct no matter what you say"
Old 04-12-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 13-dimensions that curl up into strings that can't really be seen or measured but trust us they are there or we have to admit 94% of the universe is still missing makes extremely LITTLE sense, even to quantum mechanists working in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree this makes little sense.

[ QUOTE ]
God

[/ QUOTE ]
But I'm saying that this makes much less.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:20 PM

Can you meaningfully compare those two small numbers? Let's see your back-of-the-envelope calculations.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:28 PM

Dark matter's not that hard to explain. It's basically just the idea that when an object becomes super massive, it collapses on itself and the gravity becomes so powerful that light cannot escape from it. What's mysterious or hard to believe about that?

Also, this idea's based on actual evidence (due to galaxies orbiting invisible objects or disappearing behind dark areas occasionally, as well as more complicated reasoning that can't be explained in a short paragraph. Unlike the idea of a God which was brain-washed into people over generations despite no corroborating evidence whatsoever.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:11 AM

documented eye-witness testimonies of miracles performed by jesus isnt evidence? it may not be the evidence you want but its evidence
Old 04-14-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dark matter's not that hard to explain. It's basically just the idea that when an object becomes super massive, it collapses on itself and the gravity becomes so powerful that light cannot escape from it. What's mysterious or hard to believe about that?

Also, this idea's based on actual evidence (due to galaxies orbiting invisible objects or disappearing behind dark areas occasionally, as well as more complicated reasoning that can't be explained in a short paragraph. Unlike the idea of a God which was brain-washed into people over generations despite no corroborating evidence whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Black holes have nothing to do with dark matter or dark energy.