Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: I Think It Might Be Time To Buy TASR

a question for david:

david- tasers are widely used by police and state security agencies to torture people throughout the world. as an intelligent man you no doubt know this (at least i sincerely hope you do). does this not bother you?

FWIW: a quick amnesty international search unveiled the following. these are about the USA. Suffice to say, they are used much much more widely in the 2nd and 3rd world

http://web.amnesty.org/wire/November2004/Tasers

http://web.amnesty.org/wire/July2005/Tasers

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAMR510792006
Old 03-14-2007, 08:42 PM

Sorry about my last post David.

TASR seems good. I have a few other related stocks to throw into this thread...

EML is one. GEO is another one. CXW, AH, and UUU are three others that I would look into. I own none of them but I think you all will be pleased when you take a look.

I have an idea for a thread you could post, Mr. Sklansky. My sister and I watched you on TV playing No-Limit Hold 'em.

We started watching when you were one of the last three players left. I can't remember which Tourney it was as I am not the biggest TV Poker fan. I think Johnny Chan was one of the players. The other one was well-known also. I am thinking Phil Ivey but that doesn't sound right.

So my sister called me up and said "Dan, your man Sklansky is on TV playing a Tournament and he's one of the last three players."

I tuned in and it was quite a show. I know it is edited for entertainment value but it was a great game. They busted you out but they were teaming up against you. My sister was complaining that they were being mean to you, LOL! I said that it is a common practice near the end of tournaments and it was not collusion in a technical sense.

She said it was wrong and I disagreed. I told her that it meant they were scared of you, LOL! When it ended, I was stunned and I got the cell phone beep from my sister saying "OH MY GOD! Did YOU @$%#^&* SEE THAT!!!" I did and since I can;t remember what it was I would like to hear you post some info about the Tournaments you have done.

I would like to add that you reacted with extraordinary class, shaking their hands after something like that and just watching offstage in a calm manner. Classic.

Could you start a thread on something like that?

Fierce Lion7 out.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It has to bust out over $9

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish poker was that easy. I'm in the wrong business.

[/ QUOTE ]

David, I love you and appreciate the depth of thought you constantly bring to poker discussions. But you really should not own any individual stocks. I haven't seen anything from you that indicates an understanding of how stocks are valued. As an investor you are akin to a newbie poker player who thinks the key to poker is a pattern mapper.

When I wanted to learn how to play poker well, I read everything Sklansky wrote. He taught me the essential theorem of poker, from which everything else followed.

When I wanted to learn how to be a good investor, I read everything that Buffett and his mentor Ben Graham wrote. They taught me the essential theory of value, from which everything else followed.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It has to bust out over $9

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish poker was that easy. I'm in the wrong business.

[/ QUOTE ]

David, I love you and appreciate the depth of thought you constantly bring to poker discussions. But you really should not own any individual stocks. I haven't seen anything from you that indicates an understanding of how stocks are valued. As an investor you are akin to a newbie poker player who thinks the key to poker is a pattern mapper.

When I wanted to learn how to play poker well, I read everything Sklansky wrote. He taught me the essential theorem of poker, from which everything else followed.

When I wanted to learn how to be a good investor, I read everything that Buffett and his mentor Ben Graham wrote. They taught me the essential theory of value, from which everything else followed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why are you talking about investing based on price movements?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
david- tasers are widely used by police and state security agencies to torture people throughout the world. as an intelligent man you no doubt know this (at least i sincerely hope you do). does this not bother you?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have to do with making money off the stock?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
david- tasers are widely used by police and state security agencies to torture people throughout the world.
....a quick amnesty international ...

[/ QUOTE ]
OK what’ the point you are trying to make? Amnesty International has lost all credibility with the comparison of Guantanamo Bay to a Gulag. They are a crack head org.
I’ll invest in TASR, thanks for helping me decide!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not. Why are you investing in a company with shady management?

Actually, my reply is a little snippy, let me apologize and start over.

You should invest in a company because you think the price you are paying today is substantially less than it's eventual value. From your original post I don't see the case you are trying to make here. Unpopular companies can either be bargains or disasters, do you have enough information about TASR to make you confident it's a bargain?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:45 PM

I have a much better set of ideas than buying any stock, the analogy of stock picking resembling raked bingo poker comes to mind.

I have been brainstorming this week partly attributed to inspiration extracted from this 2+2 forum (thanks, David et al).

The conclusion I've come to is that not only is the internet in its infancy, but what is overlooked are a slew of concepts that could overthrow the current paradigm(s)--I am purposely leaving out the details for now.

Yes, it sounds like I'm a tease, but I sincerely state that I've come up with about 20-30 ideas recently (48-72 hours) that I don't see implemented anywhere on the net today.

They are not technical innovations, just conceptual ones.
They co-opt grey matter, not software...

My latest question today while planning my first internet startup is:

Are pokersites and/or cash intermediaries allowed to offer interest or other forms of incentive such as 'points' or equity as a function of accrued credit/time?

This would create a float for the corporation, is it somehow prohibited by some Bank Act(s) in North America?
What about other jurisdictions such as Antigua for US citizens?

Also, the first person I'd want to do business with is Barry Greenstein. What a mensch he is--what a great role model!

Hi Barry!

I would also strive to emulate Buffett and Gates.
Do you see why the velocity of money is important to our civilization?

P.S. I don't really need financing, and I wouldn't need to approach the super rich relatives I've alluded to earlier.

I believe other startups and smaller parties are more suitable partners. Personality and fit count. Also there are legal practicalities.

I composed this message in the hopes of inspiring you all, and to express my genuine gratitude.

Thank you.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should invest in a company because you think the price you are paying today is substantially less than it's eventual value.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Unpopular companies can either be bargains or disasters

[/ QUOTE ]

What brilliant revelations! A guy like Sklansky shouldn't dare dabble in the market with sharks like you out there. He's gonna get eaten for breakfast.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An excellent [censored] question.

The idea that a stock is good, but can't be purchased until the price is almost 20% higher is very irrational.

The question here is what kind of future prospects TASR has. I don't like them personally, but there's no way in hell I'd give up 20% if I did.

That said, TASR is a company with a 400m market cap, 12m of net assets, that lost 4m last year and made 1m the year before. Even if you go back 2 years to the big earnings year, the company is priced at 20x those earnings, which I would rate as "highly speculative" even if those were today's earnings. Managment is, uh, unpopular with the shareholders. Insider ownership is low. The only positive sign I see is that insiders are aquiring shares rather than dumping them.

What is it the kids say these days? Oh yeah. Meh.