Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Summer \'07 movie reviews/discussion (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
Let me get this straight, raptor -- a complex, intricate character study with a wealth of comic sequences and amazing special effects "dragged on for eons" and wasn't "entertaining" to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say this as if he was the only one to have this opinion? It was pretty terrible man, and I loved the first two.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:05 AM

I didnt think Oceans 11 was that much better than Oceans 12. Pacino is in the next one, which makes me think it will suck.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me get this straight, raptor -- a complex, intricate character study with a wealth of comic sequences and amazing special effects "dragged on for eons" and wasn't "entertaining" to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say this as if he was the only one to have this opinion? It was pretty terrible man, and I loved the first two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeti -- it's because he followed it up by saying he couldn't wait to see a 3-hour Orlando Bloom movie that looked to contain the same offenses he just objected to -- but for 40 extra minutes.

It doesn't confuse me that he thought it dragged on for eons; it confused me that he's excited about something that drags on even longer.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:38 PM

okay. i just thoguht describing it as a complex intricate character study was a huge stretch.

i agree that pirates 3 trailer + runnign length looks like a yawnathon.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:16 PM

SPIDERMAN 3 SPOILERS

This movie deserves to be pilloried. But where to begin? First, the amount of time it takes to get to the action. A brief list of things we have to endure before there's any actual action:
-A song performance not even worthy of American Idol.
-A whiny verbal confrontation between Peter and Harry.
-Aunt May giving a meandering speech about that damn wedding ring. We get it; it has a lot of sentimental value. Who cares? Honestly, it reminded me more of a diamond commercial than anything else. I half expected the screen to fade to black as the words "De Beers" appear on screen and an announcer tells us that "diamonds are forever."

My main objection here is that this movie tries too hard to deal with the characters' emotions, and in doing so takes itself way too seriously. It's not a big-screen adaptation of some Henry James psychological novel. It's essentially a movie about a guy who whips around New York City in a spider suit and beats up villains. I care very little about how he, or anybody else, feels. Especially when the scripts and actors do such a poor job of conveying these emotions. For instance, watching Tobey Maguire's face crinkle up at the end of the movie, presumably filled with grief over Harry's gory death, was high comedy. Oh, you're SAD, spidey? I think I'll laugh riotously now, because your attempt at conveying sadness only elicits the opposite response.

There were various other oddities that can (and probably should) be overlooked because, hey, it's a comic book movie. A meteor slamming into Earth, seemingly yards away from Peter and MJ, and nobody notices? I can overlook it. A large WARNING: PARTICLE PHYSICS TEST FACILITY sign? A humorous absurdity that one might expect in a comic book. Still, there's only so much I can take; Spidey leaping in front of an oversize American flag was pure cheese.

Anyway, the most telling thing about this movie was that the audience erupted into laughter upon seeing "black-suit" Peter, who looked like he was straight out of My Chemical Romance or Dashboard Confessional or whatever emo bands Jurollo loves. If this is what the "poison of revenge" is supposed to look like, I'm pretty damn unconcerned.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeti -- it's because he followed it up by saying he couldn't wait to see a 3-hour Orlando Bloom movie that looked to contain the same offenses he just objected to -- but for 40 extra minutes.

It doesn't confuse me that he thought it dragged on for eons; it confused me that he's excited about something that drags on even longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

private joker,

i loved the first pirates, and watched it probably 20 times. i thought it was awesome cuz every other movie about pirates sucks. the second one left a bit of a dry taste in my mouth, but im interested to see what they will do with the third. if i was 10 i would have loved spidey 3. sorry i dont live up to your standards. maybe im gay and wanna bang orlando bloom.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:32 AM

I saw 28 Weeks Later last night. It bit. 3/10, and I have a low threshold for being entertained. Can't even recommend it as a rental.

Smokin' Aces gets a 6/10. Had a few good points but overall dragged. However, they blew so much stuff up I almost gave it a courtesy 7.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:14 PM

in general the summer pics are not made for those who frequent 2+2. when you spend $100M+ on a picture, you need to expect that teenagers will want to see the pic AND go multiple times. people who have kids, businesses, are just busy, are not going to see many of the summer pics. additionally, teenagers will go to a motion picture again and again. studies have shown that this is for 2 reasons. they like a picture and want to see it several times, and/or it is part of a social event.

"tent pole" pictures as they are called are aimed at a non sophisticated non adult audience. that is why there usually are not good picture, but they are good business -- because they put people in the theaters.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in general the summer pics are not made for those who frequent 2+2. when you spend $100M+ on a picture, you need to expect that teenagers will want to see the pic AND go multiple times. people who have kids, businesses, are just busy, are not going to see many of the summer pics. additionally, teenagers will go to a motion picture again and again. studies have shown that this is for 2 reasons. they like a picture and want to see it several times, and/or it is part of a social event.

"tent pole" pictures as they are called are aimed at a non sophisticated non adult audience. that is why there usually are not good picture, but they are good business -- because they put people in the theaters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jason Bourne 3 FTW. 140-150 million dollars of awesomeness

but yah...I get this...my current boss hated this aspect of being in charge at a studio
Old 07-22-2007, 05:49 AM

Saw Die Harder the other night and thought it was absolutely great, I loved the action and I just really dig Bruce Willis' character. One thing I really want to mention is that the French ninja is Cyril Raffaelli, imo one of the sickest human beings on this planet. If you were impressed go rent B-13 from Blockbuster, he's the the main character in that one - no CGI, no special effects per se, just him and one other dude doing [censored] that keeps you yelling "What the... how the [censored] does he DO that???"

Kirk
Closed Thread