Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: How do you control swings/tilt/FEELINGS

Well maybe the limits are too high for my roll. I just tried to wait for nut starting hands lately and they get cracked by [censored].

I mean i get AA; he has 45, flop is 36k, we both go all in on the flop for like 900 bucks, he makes backdoor flush.

I have 9T of hearts he raises i call, flop is TT4 rainbow, he pushes I reraise, he reraises back, I think for a while and am like okay he has AA KK or he will bluff the turn as well, lets call. I do it, turn gives him flush draw and he pushes all I call that of course and he makes the flush.

Lately, .3 (yes) -5% to win hands on the flop BEAT MY hands and somewhen it's really enough.

I will move to a new site, same network with a deposit bonus and start playing lower limits that fit into my bankroll.

Thanks for your help guys.

I just wonder because I NEVER had a bad streak for like a week.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 AM

You do not understand variance. You are supposed to lose sometimes. You will lose sometimes. This is not controllable. If you want to understand this concept better, look at some charts that show the bankroll level you have to have to just moderate youself to a 1/3 chance of going broke, and that is if you are willing to drop down if you hit a certain bankroll level. I don't know, but by the stress you seem to be taking, I would guess you are playing way too high for your bankroll. I suggest you find out.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 PM

Acting and losing myself in the role. I try to adopt a completely different persona (actually, I rotate through several). I compartmentalize the different facets of my life poker vs family vs vs friends vs work etc. so that you might think I were schizophrenic if you saw me acting completely differently in different settings. There are some people who know me as a chatterbox and others who know me as the silent type, some who know me as that guy who always smiles and some who know me as the guy who never smiles. I am learning to dislike online compared to live because I can't figure out as easily who I am at the table.

Playing poker is a mentally-draining activity, so I can't live and think that way 100% of my conscious time. I mentally "turn off" my knowledge of things like literature and chemistry, moving other topics like sports, music, movies, and anything else that might be likely to be discussed. Sometimes, I "become" a local sports fan for the night.

Basically, I try to think of myself as an actor playing the role of a poker player than as an actual poker player. It offers a layer of detachment from the game. I don't ask myself how I should act at the table in a given situation, I ask myself how a poker player should act then play my role accordingly.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 AM

I tilt just as much as the next guy, but I am so terrified of making -EV decisions that in the end it doesn't matter if i'm a little miffed anyway.