Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-10-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Re: 25/50 AA on paired flop

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how he can't have flopped trips though, or a boat...or picked up a boat on the turn/river. I opened from the CO, he could certainly have A3s or even 43s or 53s. If he did I'd expect it to probably look just like this post flop.

Also most JJ-KK hands are going to be re-raising me PF I'd think.

I still think this is a good fold versus an unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop playing scared. If you're that unwilling to get your value from AA, then just shove on the flop. No way villain plays 88 or trip 3's this way. he probably has an over pair, i.e. 99+. Just shove the flop and get it over with already, rather than calling scared. Do you really think he hit that board? I don't. C'mon, 53 or 43? Do you really think he's calling a raise with that trash OOP? A3 maybe. But then the only hands you worry about are exactly A3 or 88. I wouldn't give him credit for either of these given his line. A3 is more likely IMO, but I'm still heavily leading towards 99+. I'm not folding here.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 AM

Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you're that unwilling to get your value from AA, then just shove on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Effective stacks $9,000...Villian checks, hero bets 300, villian raises to 800

[/ QUOTE ]

So here we have a pot of $1975 if I call, and $975 invested in the pot...you think I should shove for $7,000 more into that pot?

We are both pretty deep here and thats why this is an interesting hand and a difficult decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

No... I don't actually like the re-raise shove here. I was making a point before, that if you're afraid to see a turn and river, just get your money in now.

But I would put in a stiff raise on the flop here, say bump it up to 4k, and see what he does. I'm getting my money in though with this hand, either on the flop or turn. I'm not smooth calling to the river, allowing him to potentially suck out. I also want to raise to see where I'm at. That's my biggest problem with this hand. By calling all the way, you have absolutely no idea where you stand. I honestly think you're still ahead though, but you can't be sure, as you never took control of the hand.

My only point in my last post, is that this is a relatively safe board for AA. Honestly, it's about as safe as it gets for AA, as he's unlikely to have trips or a boat, and you beat all the other overpairs. I don't like smooth calling all the way to the river and possibly letting him fill up with an under pair.

By the river he could have filled up on you with 55 or 66, or he could be sitting on 99, TT and still be beat by you. But you just don't know.

By never taking control of the hand, you allow him to beat you out of this hand, and many times you will have the best hand. Sure, sometimes he'll have A3, but more often than not, he'll have a hand like 99 or TT.

On this flop, he's giving you action. I'm playing AA much more aggressively on this flop. I say raise to maybe 4k, He shoves, I call...
Old 06-10-2007, 09:59 AM

Old 06-10-2007, 01:26 PM

I think villain knows that you have an overpair and he is shoving river with such a wide range. It's probably very close of whether or not to fold this river. The smallish check/raise on the flop is a little scary. I think he has a hand but am not sure if he turned it into a bluff or not. He sure would take this line on all streets with trips but is a 3 in his range oop? I dunno, it's close. This definitely isn't an easy call. Results?
Old 06-10-2007, 01:45 PM

Old 06-10-2007, 05:46 PM

i think his range consists mostly of pocket pairs; 99, TT & JJ - QQ or KK would repop you preflop. looks more like hes trying to get you to laydown overcards instead of extracting value out of a big pocket pair.

unless he got some sick read and put you on AA/KK i cant see him playing 88 or a random 3 like this. id call here 100% against unknown players.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you're that unwilling to get your value from AA, then just shove on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Effective stacks $9,000...Villian checks, hero bets 300, villian raises to 800

[/ QUOTE ]

So here we have a pot of $1975 if I call, and $975 invested in the pot...you think I should shove for $7,000 more into that pot?

We are both pretty deep here and thats why this is an interesting hand and a difficult decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

No... I don't actually like the re-raise shove here. I was making a point before, that if you're afraid to see a turn and river, just get your money in now.

But I would put in a stiff raise on the flop here, say bump it up to 4k, and see what he does. I'm getting my money in though with this hand, either on the flop or turn. I'm not smooth calling to the river, allowing him to potentially suck out. I also want to raise to see where I'm at. That's my biggest problem with this hand. By calling all the way, you have absolutely no idea where you stand. I honestly think you're still ahead though, but you can't be sure, as you never took control of the hand.

My only point in my last post, is that this is a relatively safe board for AA. Honestly, it's about as safe as it gets for AA, as he's unlikely to have trips or a boat, and you beat all the other overpairs. I don't like smooth calling all the way to the river and possibly letting him fill up with an under pair.

By the river he could have filled up on you with 55 or 66, or he could be sitting on 99, TT and still be beat by you. But you just don't know.

By never taking control of the hand, you allow him to beat you out of this hand, and many times you will have the best hand. Sure, sometimes he'll have A3, but more often than not, he'll have a hand like 99 or TT.

On this flop, he's giving you action. I'm playing AA much more aggressively on this flop. I say raise to maybe 4k, He shoves, I call...

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get the flop 3-bet unless you are very active, which if you are taking a shot at 25/50, you aren't. I think your post is poor advice. Why do we have to take "control of the hand." Why are we so afraid of letting him fill up when we have position. The last time i checked i don't mind people unknowingly drawing to two outers oop. If he is ahead, oh well. If he had 77 or 99 or the majority of our range, and he sees a tight player put in a flop 3-bet, all of those hands are being thrown out. But if a tight player is just calling the whole way, he may be value betting worse or bluffing a lot to move you off of your "marginal hand" in his eyes. A flop raise sucks with the image of someone who is taking a shot usually has.

You say you want to "see where you are at" but at the same time you are "getting it in no matter what." If you are getting it in no matter what, then why does it matter where you are at. If you are afraid to risk 10k on a probable 91% chance then 25/50 probably isn't for you.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:18 AM

This situation is highly player dependent. If you don't know the player yet, a possible line is checking behind on the flop then getting value against weaker hands on later streets or bluffs. In the line you played, I think a river call is correct against his "unknown" range.