Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Collectible card industry

looking at ebay, 2003-2005 are going for 100ish, while 2001 is 500 and 2002 is 200; but 2000 cases are only $40

so it really depends on if the year has some star rookies with amazing valued cards to raise the box prices

the 2006 are $66 shipped on ebay from sellers with 20k feedback

seems like a decently low risk investment; likely it'll get up to $100 at least, with the potential to skyrocket with some great rookies

how do u think this year's prospects compare to the 2003-2005, which aren't worth as much as 2001/2002 sets?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:10 PM

Ok you really need to know more for me to answer this. Each year bowman chrome comes out with Regular Bowman Chrome and Bowman Chrome Draft.

Search for the draft boxes, those usually are the ones that skyrocket. 2005 rookies are still not all up from the minors yet. But they still have people like verlander, kemp in regular chrome and in 05 draft they have billy butler, ryan zimmerman, stephen drew who are all up and doing well (the 2005 draft are doing better then the regular chrome)

2004 regular is better then the draft product IMO

But check out 2002 and 2003 draft. They have some STELLAR prospects in the draft product as opposed to the regular and are in turn more expensive (but they all cost the same at the beginning)

as far as 2000 chrome. At one time those we're going decent with roy oswalt and some others, but yeah its pretty much crap, and players are getting better, getting paid more, and gettting better opportunities.

2006 chrome should quickly rise to around 100 with prospects like alex gordon, and kenji johima, and the first autographed cards of the #1 pick justin upton which will be in high demand. Those are the autos too, not just regular.

My suggestion is, just to give it a try. Buy maybe 4 boxes of the regular bowman chrome thats coming out now, then when the draft comes out buy some more of that.

But I will go ahead and guarantee if you can get 2006 Bowman Chrome for $66 a pop you are making a wise decision and I will guarantee you will make money
Old 08-01-2006, 12:31 PM

ok, so the chrome sets at $66 now are a good buy, but the best are the chrome draft, which come out when? december?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:28 PM

Ok let me explain another thing. The players they put in regular chrome they also put in draft chrome. However in draft its not considered their rookie card.

So with Justin Upton, Alex Gordon and Kenji Johjima (already in the majors and doing very well) those will be their only rookie cards (and their the auto'd version) so at $66 these are a hell of a buy and a very good investment.

The draft just *tends* to be better, as it has been like 5x better in the past 4 years in a row. I would still go with both the chrome and chrome draft.

Regular chrome is 8/16/06
There isnt any ads for chrome draft so you have a while to see what happens with regular chrome but start saving up money because it wont be for a couple of months.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im n ot disputing the prices. WHat I am saying is A Pujols rookie is going for 10 k when I can buy a Mickey Mantle for that price and we are in an era when these cards are being mass produced (correct me if Im wrong here maybe the Bowmans Chrome cards arent produced that much) Ten years from now Mantle is still going to me one of the greatest players ever, where Pujols may or may not be. This seems out of whack to me (Im `not saying what youre doing is a bad idea at all- I just havent been paying attention to the industry since about 2000 and just cant see them being a good long term investment)

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your buying mantles rookie card this is untrue. There is only 500 of the pujols chrome. Thats pretty limited. Plus think how many unopened boxes there are still. Its a very high demanding card, with *Potential* to go up. The mantle cant really go up, but can go down if more and more come out.

Again, its seriously just those 2 letters attached to the card "RC" that are driving prices. I cant explain why, except for the fact that after thier rookie year their cards and auto cards flood the market I guess making their rookie cards more valuable
Old 08-01-2006, 02:33 PM

so buy as many as can afford of regular chrome on ebay for $66 before 8/16

then sell when make desired profit

then take that money and buy chrome draft when they come out

then sell those when make desired profit

rinse. repeat next year
Old 08-01-2006, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can just add that the best thing to do in the current sports card market is buy wax and hold it. I'm talking Bowman Chrome baseball specifically. The only thing that really holds its value or even has a chance of going up is rookie cards, and sealed boxes where you have a chance to get rookie cards. I really wanna post figures from ebay but the best examples I have right now are the Bowman Chrome products from 2001 and 2002. Each year bowman chrome comes out with "speculative" rookies, some more known then others. Each year it comes out its around the same price $60-70 RIGHT when it comes out. I've started to notice a trend that when the rookies hit it big these boxes skyrocket.

In 2001 Bowman Chrome came out and was like 70-80 Per box. Wanna know how much their going for now? Around $500 because of the chance of pulling Albert Pujols #1 rookie card from a box.

2002 Bowman Chrome came out and was even cheaper. Now with the emergence of Francisco Liriano and David Wright Boxes are around $220.

It seems like alot of them are like that. You have to be more picky with football and basketball. Lebron/Carmelo/Wade rookie class was a GOLDMINE for unopened basketball boxes.

So basically what I'm saying is Rookie cards are the way to go. Also... 2006 Bowman Chrome is coming out this month and I suggest investing some money into it as there are already some rookies in the major leagues and prices will initially shoot up and maybe even pick it up with september call ups.

Any more questions you can PM me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Burkoboy,

A recent article had a card shop owner selling thousands of Mike Mussina rookie cards at 70 cents a pop. Is this a good example of the price appreciation you can see from rookie cards?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 PM

I remember the excitement when I thought I struck gold with my Billy Ripken "F Face Card". Was not anywhere near they were originally sold for.

Same with my Payne Stewart card in my football pack.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so buy as many as can afford of regular chrome on ebay for $66 before 8/16

then sell when make desired profit

then take that money and buy chrome draft when they come out

then sell those when make desired profit

rinse. repeat next year

[/ QUOTE ]

Its prolly going to take longer for the regular chrome to go up in value by the time draft comes out. Let me know how much you have to spend and I'll tell you what to do with it. Some football products coming out will be pretty good too... You should really instant messege me
Old 08-02-2006, 10:07 PM

How are more mantles going to come out? Whatever is out now can only get in worse conditon not better. I agree the price on those wont change much either way.
Part of the reason the Pujols is so expensive is because its a rookie card- but if they just made 500 of them its not the only reason.

Like i said i stopped paying much attention to baseball cards a few years back, but I hwas suprised hopw out of touch I was with the industry. When i search for past years Bowman Crhome cards on ebay there was liek 4 different types for each year and I had no idea wtf I was looking at. I can't see collecting these for fun- just as a short term investmant.

I do remeber purchasing about 200 Mark Mcgwire Topps rookie cards for 7 dollars each at the beginning of the 1998 season. I did quite well when I began unloading them after he broke the record.
Pitchers are always a lot tougher to guage than hitters- especially lefties for some reason. There have been a lot of 1 hit wonders plus they get injured a lot more than position players. Im suprised you said Oswalts cards havent done well - hes a great pitcher. It should be interesting to see how Liriano does in the next few years.