Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Feeling bad about terrible friends

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should have NEVER allowed that (if you were the host).

Even if you don't care enough about your friend...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention the person your friend might kill, especially if you happen to care about THAT person.

We had this issue at a game the other week. The more someone's been drinking, the more adament they seem to become that they're OK to drive, and the more pissed off they get that you're insulting them by telling them they're not capable. It's a real pain in the butt for everyone to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he was talking about driving his friend home, NOT letting him drive himself home drunk
Old 09-07-2007, 01:07 PM

I've had a few friends start playing who were absolutely terrible, and I eventually discovered (the hard way) that the best thing to do was to put the ball in their court and say to them: "If you have questions about the way you played a hand, please feel free to ask me and I'd love to talk about it. This is an easy game to learn and a very hard game to master, I'm learning new things all the time, and I think we can help each other." I am no longer the "teacher" in the room (although I was for a while, always offering to help, making suggestions, etc. etc.). But I found that very few people take to that, (in fact, many resent it) and besides, I felt like I was talking to myself half the time, really just boosting my own ego.

Thing is though, when someone does ask for help, I find that through teaching and answering questions, my game improves (similar to this forum). But the other person has to want to improve and be willing to engage in a dialog (oh, and you have to be willing to listen and learn as well).

Anyways, thats my 2cents.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should have NEVER allowed that (if you were the host).

Even if you don't care enough about your friend...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention the person your friend might kill, especially if you happen to care about THAT person.

We had this issue at a game the other week. The more someone's been drinking, the more adament they seem to become that they're OK to drive, and the more pissed off they get that you're insulting them by telling them they're not capable. It's a real pain in the butt for everyone to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he was talking about driving his friend home, NOT letting him drive himself home drunk

[/ QUOTE ]

Kudos to you for your reading skills, sir.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:10 PM

You don't say what limit you play (NL, PL, Limit) or what games.
If you play limit, you can structure it so that it rewards loose play. Just make your blinds, antes large in relation to the bet sizes and it will force everyone to play more hands and decreases the advantage that the better players have.

For example, in Holdem, add an extra blind on the button and make the small blind bigger or the same size as the BB. To prevent being chewed up by the blinds, the better players will have to play more hands, this lessens their starting hand advantage.

For 7-Stud, make the antes the same size as the bring-in, the small bet double the bring-in and the big bet double the size of the small bet.

Another advantage to structuring you game like this, is that you will produce a real action table as people will be playing a lot more hands, a lot more aggressively. These kind of games, especially if short-handed, are a real hoot!

I am not a no-limit player, but maybe if you cap the maximum pot size (say $40), that will at least prevent him from losing it all in one hand.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 PM

Switch to Omaha - that will give the weak players some good days, for sure.