Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Someone explain the dog haters to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, ignoring someone because they dislike dogs, omfg awesome!!!1

[ QUOTE ]
People who don't like dogs have always seemed dishonest, untrustworthy, shifty, usually seem to have a cruel streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an empirical observation.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
and he didn't have to defend why he did or did not like various things.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I dropped it.

Seriously though, were you bitten as a child, as some other posters theorize about the majority of people who don't like dogs? Because as someone pointed out, there are plenty of smelly, loud, annoying, aggressive people, and that doesn't make me dislike all people, or prejudge them to be smelly, loud, annoying, and aggressive. It's not the dog's fault that they have an irresponible owner, and it's CERTAINLY not the case that all dogs have these kinds of bad habits.

In fact, in the virtues versus vices department, I think the average dog beats the average human hands (or paws) down.

Epitaph to a dog
Lord Byron

Near this spot
Are deposited the Remains
of one
Who possessed Beauty
Without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man
Without his Vices.
This Praise, which would be unmeaning flattery
If inscribed over Human Ashes,
Is but a just tribute to the Memory of
"Boatswain," a Dog
Who was born at Newfoundland,
May, 1803,
And died at Newstead Abbey
Nov. 18, 1808.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What bothers me is the people who are intrusive dog lovers. For example, I tied my dog outside of Starbucks this morning for 2 minutes while I got a bev. It's hot outside. When I come out some woman asks me, "Is that your dog, because my friend is a vet tech and she says dogs can die from shock in the heat."

I said to her, "It is my dog, but use some common sense. Dogs are tough animals. You think they die from sitting in the sun for a few minutes? It's not locked in a car, maybe that's what you're thinking of."

[/ QUOTE ]

This drives me crazy too. There are people that go around do stupid things like breaking car windows, turning dogs loose w/o knowing the circumstances. For God's sake! It's 78 degrees! The owner was inside for two minutes and left all four windows cracked! Now the dog is running around in the street! Get a [censored] life!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a good friend who seems like a normal respectable stand up kind of a guy in every way, very intelligent, witty, funny, loves his family, good to his friends, et cetera, except that he doesn't like dogs. I find this to be completely incomprehensible. In fact, I've never met anyone until I met this guy that didn't like dogs that I didn't immediately dislike and distrust, even before I knew of their dislike for Man's Best Friend. People who don't like dogs have always seemed dishonest, untrustworthy, shifty, usually seem to have a cruel streak.

I'm sure there must be some people around here who don't like dogs, so defend yourselves, dog haters. I asked my friend about it, and he avoided the subject, and when I pressed, he got upset, like I was attacking him and he didn't have to defend why he did or did not like various things. Since he is a friend I dropped it, but I could care less about insulting the dirty soulless dog haters on the intarweb. So what's the deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

not a hater, but i'm not a dog person. from my point of view, they're noisy, smelly, dirty, messy, needy, and you have to pick up their [censored].

screw that. i don't even want to clean my own [censored].
Old 07-17-2006, 03:14 PM

Why should I justify myself to you? You've already decided that you don't like people who don't like dogs. I have never been attacked or bitten by a dog, many of my friends growing up had dogs, and I don't like dogs. I have no interest in living with one, nor do I have any interest in being convinced of how great they are. Go on enjoying your dog-filled life, and as long as you pick up their [censored] and control them from barking and chasing, we'll get along fine.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This drives me crazy too. There are people that go around do stupid things like breaking car windows, turning dogs loose w/o knowing the circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]
A guy I worked with had just gotten a new purebred golden retriever puppy. Him and his girlfriend needed to go sign some papers for a realtor, and they took the puppy with them. They left the dog in the car (in September), signed the papers, and came back out literally less than five minutes later.

The dog was gone.

It turns out a lady working in the same building as the realtor had walked by, seen the dog, reached in the cracked window to unlock the door, and removed the puppy. She then had the nerve to start lecturing coworker about leaving dogs in cars. He said he snatched his dog back and told the lady to [censored] off.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This drives me crazy too. There are people that go around do stupid things like breaking car windows, turning dogs loose w/o knowing the circumstances. For God's sake! It's 78 degrees! The owner was inside for two minutes and left all four windows cracked! Now the dog is running around in the street! Get a [censored] life!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, once I ran into Target for at MOST 5 minutes to grab some soda and crap. It was maybe 70 degrees out, and overcast. I cracked the windows.

I come back and some woman has poured water all over the drivers seat, trying to give my dog water. She also says, "and, I'm sorry, but I called the police, who will be here soon."

I yelled at her, something like, "Thank you for your concern, nutjob, but the dog's fine and I was in the store for at most 5 minutes."

Then I got in my car (wet seat and all) and drove off. Never heard from the cops -- I'm sure they jump right on those calls. "Yeah, we'll be riiiight over there lady."

If the cop issue wasn't there, I would have made her go inside Target and buy some towels and also give me money for cleaning the car or something. Friggin nutjob.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:19 PM

My wife couldn't stand dogs until we got one. She is now a pretty big dog lover. I think alot of people who don't like dogs have never had one or didn't grow up with or around dogs.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:20 PM

I have always had a dog, and have always loved my dogs. But I generally can't stand other peoples dogs.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:22 PM

I don't care if people don't like dogs. In fact, I try to respect their dislike. If they don't like my dog then I keep my dog away from them. If they don't want a furry animal near them, then so be it. My dog is pretty small and cute though, so I'm amused by people with extreme fears -- some people cross the street when they see it coming. Still, there are much stranger phobias, I'm sure.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:22 PM

I dont particularily dislike dogs but I dont exactly love them either. The thing that does bug me is the extreme dog lovers who treat dogs as pretty much equal to humans.