Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: which books would you give 10/10 ?

[ QUOTE ]
If it were it would be on everyones top five list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not mine.
(though it is not a bad book)
Old 03-23-2007, 12:45 AM

it is nowhere near that good. who cares who the publisher is?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:19 AM

I wouldn't give any poker books 10/10. There are some great ones ofcourse, but almost all of them have their flaws IMO.

And regarding Hilgers book? it's better than about 90% of the poker books out there, but his starting hand chart is a shocker IMO. Way too passive and tight.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a few 9/10s too:

SSHE
HOH1

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 9/10 for these two?

For your insubordination, you will be tarred and feathered, and hung drawn and quartered at noon!

[/ QUOTE ]
They are very good, don't get me wrong, but if you're going to give a dozen different books 10/10, what's the point? I loved HoH1, for example, but HoH2 really lived up to the "expert strategy" billing far me. Just my opinion.

Also, BarryG's book is excellent, though for different reasons.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:23 AM

JJay, it is important to remember that my starting hand charts were intended for beginning to intermediate players. Once you reach intermediate to advanced levels of play, you should be good enough to adjust your starting hands to game conditions. Some limit books can get beginners in trouble because the reader ends up playing too many hands when they first start and lose more money than they ought to.

The main mistake made by beginners is that they play too many hands. In reality, they should be playing fewer hands than intermediate or advanced players. Beginning players make too many post-flop mistakes. Hands that are profitable for average players can be losers for beginners. My general philosophy for the starting hand charts was to minimize beginner's mistakes so that they don't lose their initial bankroll right off the bat. With more experience and after they can demonstrate profitability they can start to loosen up their requirements. This is what the 'Advanced Concepts' chapter on Starting Hand was about.

Matthew
Old 03-23-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
JJay, it is important to remember that my starting hand charts were intended for beginning to intermediate players. Once you reach intermediate to advanced levels of play, you should be good enough to adjust your starting hands to game conditions. Some limit books can get beginners in trouble because the reader ends up playing too many hands when they first start and lose more money than they ought to.

The main mistake made by beginners is that they play too many hands. In reality, they should be playing fewer hands than intermediate or advanced players. Beginning players make too many post-flop mistakes. Hands that are profitable for average players can be losers for beginners. My general philosophy for the starting hand charts was to minimize beginner's mistakes so that they don't lose their initial bankroll right off the bat. With more experience and after they can demonstrate profitability they can start to loosen up their requirements. This is what the 'Advanced Concepts' chapter on Starting Hand was about.

Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]
I have not read your book but I feel you are absolutely correct that a new player should play less hands than an experienced player and concentrate more on post-flop play.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: which books would you give 10/10 ? *DELETED*

Post deleted by deacsoft
Old 03-23-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: which books would you give 10/10 ? *DELETED*

Post deleted by deacsoft
Old 03-23-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The main mistake made by beginners is that they play too many hands. In reality, they should be playing fewer hands than intermediate or advanced players. Beginning players make too many post-flop mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I once told someone a made up fact that if they spunked a grand on 1-2 nl holdem raising preflop with 30% of hands at random, by the time they were broke they'd be as good as most pros. If beginners never play too many hands and make postflop mistakes, they'll remain beginners.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Fraac, I agree that if a player never ventures from starting hand recommendations that they would remain a beginner. This is why I there is an "Advanced Concepts" chapter to the book to discuss when you can play more hands. But starting out, beginners will make postflop mistakes even with tighter starting hand recommendations. They need to learn from them and then when they are able to lower their mistakes they can start seeing more flops profitably. I do see the argument though that a player could progress to an advanced stage quicker by simply starting out looser, but that player will need two things 1/ a very big bankroll and 2/ a very good temperament to stay with it. Given that most beginners do not have large bankrolls my general recommendation is start off tight.

Matthew