Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: XBox 360 won\'t connect to our network

No IP conflict, no MAC conflict, no potential for DHCP problems. You definitely have the right ports open on your router? This is likely a networking problem since neither machine can even see the other, but it's really hard to diagnose anything besides basic conflicts without alot more information.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Have you tried enabling DMZ on your 360/PC to ensure that it's absolutely not some sort of a firewall issue?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried enabling DMZ on your 360/PC to ensure that it's absolutely not some sort of a firewall issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of sounds like his PC firewall is preventing the 360 from seeing it. I could be way offbase here of course.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Just a shot in the dark, but if your subnet mask is setup correctly on both your xbox and pc (should be 255.255.255.0) then you should be able to ping - do you use a wireless card in your PC? It's happened before with one client, where they were connecting to their neighbours' wireless network (which had the same network name as their own).

Edit: DMZ won't affect 2 NIC's inside the same subnet. If you want to test your Firewall (Assuming Win XP), try turning it off completely (Windows Firewall within the Control Panel). If you have Norton Firewall installed, try turning that off also - it's pretty paranoid when it comes to granting access... It would have to be pretty strict to not allow ping requests to bounce-back however.

More edit: just to give us a better idea, can you find out the IP's for your Xbox and PC and post them (internal IP's, starting with 192.168...) also, can you ping the Xbox's IP from another computer on the network?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM

My 360 cannot be pinged within my network, and everything works fine, and this is on a wired connection. Regarding DMZ, I am not certain whether it impacts intra-subnet communications. Given that they're not completely transparent, it should - but networking is not my field. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It cannot hurt to try.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Dire,

Do you have a software firewall running on the PC in question? I've had similar sounding problems in the past on my home network with a computer not being able to see another computer on the network because I forget to make them part of the trusted group (or whatever that is called on your particular flavor of firewall).
Old 10-26-2007, 06:14 PM

I can share between my 360/PC just fine. Was responding to Brook regarding my ping timing out, since not being able to ping doesn't necessarily mean a problem.