Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Marrying a Girl From a Different Culture

I am from Midwestern farmers and railroad workers/blacksmiths.
Grew up in the rural Ozarks (as opposed to the urban Ozarks, like those slickers in Springfield, MO).

My wife is from Bel Air and grew up with Hollywood folks.

I am still in the process of acquiring some couth and polish.

We met via the wonder of teh Internets and have pretty much given up trying to figure out how we ever ended up with each other [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 02:18 PM

Having spent a decent amount of time in Eastern Europe I can say that I definitely prefer them to American woman. Eastern European men seem to leave a lot to be desired though, at least that's what women I know tell me.

Currently, Eastern European women are just much more simple and practical while most American women seem to be brainwashed by Oprah and think they are entitled to everything. Of course the key is once you get them over to the states you have to keep them away from American women so they don't get brainwashed.

For an American man there isn't that much of a cultural difference and any differences are usually positive.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having spent a decent amount of time in Eastern Europe I can say that I definitely prefer them to American woman. Eastern European men seem to leave a lot to be desired though, at least that's what women I know tell me.

Currently, Eastern European women are just much more simple and practical while most American women seem to be brainwashed by Oprah and think they are entitled to everything. Of course the key is once you get them over to the states you have to keep them away from American women so they don't get brainwashed.

For an American man there isn't that much of a cultural difference and any differences are usually positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds really bad.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:13 PM

No, imprisoning your wife is an old, much-beloved American tradition.

For all they know.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That sounds really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure you're familiar with Eddie Murphy's standup [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That sounds really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure you're familiar with Eddie Murphy's standup [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, first thing I thought of. Eddie! I need to talk to you!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That sounds really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, first thing I thought of. Eddie! I need to talk to you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gimmie half, Edieeeee!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never met any Eastern European women but this is something I've read quite a bit lately - that American women act "entitled" and sort of bratty. Do all you guys feel this way about American girls? Do you think we act entitled?

I remember KKF saying that Asian women were a lot better at nurturing their husbands and were not very demanding, and they were better at taking care of their appearance. I wonder if this is true or just his fantasy of Asian women.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never met any Eastern European women but this is something I've read quite a bit lately - that American women act "entitled" and sort of bratty. Do all you guys feel this way about American girls? Do you think we act entitled?

I remember KKF saying that Asian women were a lot better at nurturing their husbands and were not very demanding, and they were better at taking care of their appearance. I wonder if this is true or just his fantasy of Asian women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he's been living among them for a couple years now, over in Thailand. My Vietnamese brother says the same thing. So did the Chinese and Japanese friends I've had.

When I've met their girlfriends, it's for the most part seemed pretty true, as when I met their families. Very traditional that way, extremely courteous to guests and solicitous, even if they are quite familiar guests. Very often insisting you eat something, and I mean like a full meal lotsa times, at any time of the day or night you come in. Have some hot tea, some sliced fruit, whatever. Very old country kind of thing. A lot of times American courtesy can be more on the level of "We gotta sink, go cup your hand if you're thirsty." Even when it's not, it's rarely anywhere near as solicitous. I mean these ladies will really knock themselves out. And then, quite often, they'll disappear.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, he's been living among them for a couple years now, over in Thailand. My Vietnamese brother says the same thing. So did the Chinese and Japanese friends I've had.

When I've met their girlfriends, it's for the most part seemed pretty true, as when I met their families. Very traditional that way, extremely courteous to guests and solicitous, even if they are quite familiar guests. Very often insisting you eat something, and I mean like a full meal lotsa times, at any time of the day or night you come in. Have some hot tea, some sliced fruit, whatever. Very old country kind of thing. A lot of times American courtesy can be more on the level of "We gotta sink, go cup your hand if you're thirsty." Even when it's not, it's rarely anywhere near as solicitous. I mean these ladies will really knock themselves out. And then, quite often, they'll disappear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not doubting that they are solicitous with guests. I've met some Asian women who are extremely courteous. The Korean girl who my friend is married to is really sweet and courteous. According to him, however, she puts on a different face to the public. At night, when it's just the two of them, she's spoiled and demanding (according to him) and also unwilling to compromise. But I realize it's just one Korean woman, though it sounds like Glorfindel was backing up my friend's observation of the Korean tantrums. I guess what I'm wondering is whether or not Asian wives are really that much more understanding and solicitous of their husbands than western wives.

I recall my mom telling me years ago that Japanese women made wonderful wives and mothers. This was her observation having grown up near some Japanese families.