Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Re: becoming a filmie

I guess I don't know what a filmie is? I like movies and I watch a lot of movies. I have seen virtually every movie mentioned so far in this thread and I don't consider myself a filmie in any way, shape or form. Most of them seem very mainstream to me. And mainstream is fine. Movies are entertainment. Some people get entertained differently from others. Most people can watch a movie and know if it entertained them or not. For me the word "filmie" conjurs up some pretentious, self absorbed jerkoff who watches only the most obscure, abstract, avant garde crap imaginable and feels superior to those who often enjoy mainstream stuff. But since most of the recommendations in this thread are fairly mainstream maybe that guy I imagine is something other than a "filmie"?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If watching any one film can turn someone off from a genre, they're never going to be a "filmie."

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't agree that being a "filmie" isn't something that could be taught, I think this part of your post is 100% true. I don't think you can really get into any art form if you don't approach it with an open mind and excited to learn. Whether you are talking about the fine arts or even something as simple as beer I think this is true.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:28 PM

I don't think being a "filmie" implies that you are pretentious or can't appreciate mainstream films. I think it just means that you appreciate film as an art form, not just as simple entertainment. I think it also implies that you are "well versed" in film and know a bit about the art form.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If watching any one film can turn someone off from a genre, they're never going to be a "filmie."

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't agree that being a "filmie" isn't something that could be taught, I think this part of your post is 100% true. I don't think you can really get into any art form if you don't approach it with an open mind and excited to learn. Whether you are talking about the fine arts or even something as simple as beer I think this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

but within that, i think you could easily turn someone off to an entire genre if you start them in the wrong place. like, if you were to teach someone Avant-Garde and start with that film where they cut the eye, that might ruin someone's "openmindedness" about the Avant-Garde as a whole.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me the word "filmie" conjurs up some pretentious, self absorbed jerkoff who watches only the most obscure, abstract, avant garde crap imaginable and feels superior to those who often enjoy mainstream stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

the term you're looking for is "film student"
Old 09-09-2006, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This may be tough to do without sounding like a dick, but people miss a lot when they are watching movies. They usually follow the story, action, jokes etc. but there is a lot more to film then that obv. Start with something they've already seen, know, like, watch it with them, talk about it as you are watching it and try to show them how much more there is to their favorite films then they had previously noticed. Godfather could be an obvious example.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this suggestion makes a lot of sense.

Is there any reading that might be helpful for someone sufficiently motivated?
Old 09-09-2006, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This may be tough to do without sounding like a dick, but people miss a lot when they are watching movies. They usually follow the story, action, jokes etc. but there is a lot more to film then that obv. Start with something they've already seen, know, like, watch it with them, talk about it as you are watching it and try to show them how much more there is to their favorite films then they had previously noticed. Godfather could be an obvious example.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that motion. (Still waiting on whether or not John's course has a distance learning option. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 09-09-2006, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you could probably go with Roger Ebert's great movies books, but at the same time there will be some out there ones in there that may be a bit much when just starting out on really getting into film. Basically, stay off of bergman,Bunel(i can't get the squiggly line on my comp), fellini, or jarmusch when starting out
Old 09-09-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that motion. (Still waiting on whether or not John's course has a distance learning option. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

vulture,

start with Hitchcock, specifically North By Northwest, Rear Window, and Vertigo.

watch the bonus features on those discs, b/c there's a great deal of info there as well.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, stay off of bergman,Bunel(i can't get the squiggly line on my comp), fellini, or jarmusch when starting out

[/ QUOTE ]

KDawg,

to get the squiggly line (or any other weird thing, for that matter), go to IMDB, copy, paste, ta-da. see?

Luis Buñuel