Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Little help calling stations

[ QUOTE ]
If we seem to have no sense of humor in this forum, it's just we tend to be a bit anal about not leading beginners astray. It may be disappointing that no one posted agreement with you, but I can assure you someone was reading that post thinking, "That guy makes a lot of sense."

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Not to mention no sign of it being a joke. Even a [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] woulda helped. Along with the fact we get that argument, non-joking, at least once every 2 weeks.

b
Old 08-18-2006, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing how many people will slowplay trips on a coordinated board

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty M'Lord. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok im trying to build a bank role i have around $140 and playing sit n go at $3. the trouble i have is everyone keeps calling my bet to the river. i have the nuts maybe to the turn so raising when i should be. except players are calling with hands far to week and hitting the river. what is the best play against these players should i not bet into them and just call when they bet into me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overbet and make them pay for their calls and buy in short, so that you are all-in on the turn before they hit their miracle on river.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you have the nuts on the turn and theres a reasonably good chance like a flush it will hit on the river..then a large raise is necessary to chase him out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! Sounds like we're going down the wrong path here. YOU DON'T WANT TO CHASE DRAWS OUT. YOU WANT TO GIVE THEM IMPROPER ODDS TO DRAW, BUT STILL HAVE THEM CALL ANYWAY. This is a very important point misunderstood by many otherwise solid NL players. Those who don't understand it are losing expectation every time they chase out a draw that would have called with the wrong odds. I'd advise rereading the NLHE material in GSIH. (Cambraceres' post above is also good.)

Now, when denying your opponent the odds to make a draw, you need to consider the implied odds you're laying. For example, if you can put her on exactly a flush draw, and you can reduce her odds to 3.5:1, that would be fine -- providing you don't plan to pay off a bet if the flush comes in! But in tough NL games always folding to a third suited card and a bet will make you too bluffable. At any rate, the point is if you're going to pay off a modest river bet, you will need to deny the flush enough implied odds to be profitable. (But you're not sure you're against a flush draw, so at that point things get more complicated.)

Pushing people off of their drawing hands is a great way to maximize the number of pots you win. Unfortunately the object of poker isn't to maximize the number of pots you win, but rather the money you win. You can't cash those "pots" out at the cage or into your Neteller account.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem is, at these levels it is almost impossible to know what the fukk they are drawing at, so you will frequently be paying them off when they hit a runner runner straigth or 222 set on river, A3 on JK55A vs your KQ etc etc.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:16 PM

True, that is a problem. You have to play top pair very carefully and respect when they tell you that they made trips on the river.

On the other hand, there's no law that says that top pair can't make trips on the river, either, and if you win a trips-over-trips kicker war you'll probably take a stack. Furthermore, you will get paid off handsomely when you flop a set and they're drawing thin with top pair, bottom pair, a flush draw after the board pairs, two overcards, one overcard, whatever.

But you're correct, you do need to play rather more for big hands, although not so much that you stop betting your TP-GKish hands for value (because you'll get value).
Old 08-18-2006, 07:44 PM

Suddenly this thread seems on topic....